So,

On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 11:31 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
      Right - good point; I notice a number of these changes - so I'm working
through build/distro-config/LibreOfficeLinuxDevel.conf - to switch the
polarity of the default arguments to match that.

        I worked through the above default distro config; and winkled out a
number of defaults to hack into the inner configure; but I got tired and
indecisive towards the end; hence this mail.

        My essential premise - is that we should be making the default build,
as fast, reliable and painless for our entry-level new developers as
possible: which means they shouldn't have to pass any exotic autogen /
configure flags to get a good working build.

        Anyhow:

* Changed defaults (new default is as if with this param):
        --enable-broffice --disable-epm
        --enable-cairo  --enable-hids
        --enable-lockdown --enable-opengl [ disallowed for win32 ]
        --with-system-python [ without which gdb fails horribly ]
        * and removed the obsolete PAM checks we had

* The remaining options for which defaults may need changing are:

        --disable-binfilter # it was the default to not build it ...
                + IMHO we should not be building this for most
                  developers by default, compile time is already
                  too long.
                + I've disabled it by default, please scream if you
                  violently object [ it has been like this for a month+
                  by default (or just add --enable-binfilter to your
                  build). ]

        --without-system-jars
        --disable-crypt-link
        --disable-randr-link
        --without-system-mesa-headers
                + misc. pieces to use/not use system stuff by default
                  any violent opinions ?

        --with-extension-integration
        --enable-ext-presenter-minimizer
        --enable-ext-presenter-console
        --enable-ext-pdfimport
        --enable-ext-wiki-publisher
        --enable-ext-report-builder
                + it seems we stopped building and installing all these
                  useful extensions

        --with-ant-home=$BUILDDIR/$APACHE_ANT
                + and have to have a system ant now [ should that be the
                  default ? ]

        --with-system-dicts
        --with-external-dict-dir=/usr/share/hunspell
        --with-external-hyph-dir=/usr/share/hyphen
        --with-external-thes-dir=/usr/share/mythes
        --with-dict=ALL
        --without-myspell-dicts
                + are dictionaries that interesting to developers
                  anyway ? I suggest not migrating these.

        --enable-zenity
                + I like this ;-) and if DISPLAY is not set it is not
                  used anyway.

        Thoughts / flames ?

        HTH,

                Michael.