On 26/11/10 10:43, Michael Meeks wrote:
Should I try and codify it as a copyright section on
http://www.documentfoundation.org/develop/ and in a HACKING file, or
would you rather I just went away and left this topic alone? (I don't
want to dive into something that is bound to be contentious without some
backing by others, but this is an itch I'd happily scratch :-).
      http://lwn.net/Articles/370157/ cf. points 5. and 8. :-)

Okay. I have read that article :-) Point well taken. But I'll also bear
in mind point 3! I mentioned lilypond - I've got a significant change to
the functionality of a module waiting to go in (I don't want to do it
until 2.14 is out) and I had a bit of a shock as to how they handled
copyright. Okay, I'm still putting the stuff in anyway, but I think
they've done several stupid things that could be asking for trouble and
I didn't appreciate getting a post-facto shock!

      Anyhow - there is some merit in writing something clearer about this;
please can you write it up, and mail it to me; and we'll get the tech
steering group to review / edit / approve it.

I read Groklaw a lot, which is why I think we should actively try to be
both up-front and correct, but don't worry - as a European I think PJ's
standing advice to (-: ask an attorney before you blow your nose :-) is
rather OTT.

I'll try and do something this weekend (and sorry for not responding
this morning - I don't know whether you do this stuff out-of-hours and
won't see this til Monday) but my internet has been out all day :-(

Cheers,
Wol