2. Also, if launchpad and the original translation infrastructure are
both unsuitable(as I believe they are)

      :-) I share your view.

Pootle http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/index

Anyway - help for setting up (and later adminstrating) the server is
welcome. (But we don't have one yet.)

regards,

André

Sorry, I have little experience in such efforts. I am trying to direct
attention to this project through my local ubuntu community though. If
anybody steps forward, I'll let you know.

Also, I just noticed this:
https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/df-libreoffice/trunk

Is this an unintended side-effect of Libreoffice being pulled by launchpad?

If so, this looks dangerously official. If launchpad is not intended to be
used, this should be disabled so as not to cause any confusion/duplication
of labor.