I downloaded the palettes availabe from
http://www.dtpstudio.de/palettes.html and looked at the CIE HLC palettes
for several of the software packages I am familiar with. None of the
palette files I looked at had any copyright notice of any kind, so I'm
wondering why it's necessary for the LibreColor-HLC.soc to contain a
copyright notice?

I understand the importance of protecting the integrity of the color
standard. I believe this could be done exactly the way LibreOffice protects
the integrity of it's product through the use of trademarks rather than
copyrights. Is it acceptable to include code in LO under a 3rd party
Trademark?

I think this approach of attaching a trademark, if acceptable to freieFarbe
e.V. and LO, would allow for more elegant integration into the source code,
and provide a greater user experience, with the assurance that users are
using an official palette. Users would then be able adjust the palette for
their own needs if desired, or make derivatives, such as creating a smaller
version for their own corporate branding colors. These derivatives would
simply no longer carry the trademark.

I think it makes a lot of sense for LO to be able to work with standards
organizations in ways that enhance user experience while preserving both
freedom and standards. Let's make the discussion about how to make it
happen, by offering solutions, and alternatives, rather than just pointing
out problems.

Taylor Jenkins

On Dec 12, 2016 12:31 AM, Christoph Schäfer <christoph-schaefer@gmx.de>