Hi all!

Am Montag, den 27.07.2015, 15:19 +0000 schrieb Heiko Tietze:
To start the discussion I prepared a pad with the basics (needs some
work though) and two alternative workflows/designs with mockups.
Please comment the hell out of these ideas (either comment via speech
bubble icon or just add text). Perhaps it's good to have a hangout
too...

http://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/UX-PrintDialog

Thanks! I've added some remarks and commented issue #67905.

I add Christoph as the usability expert of the previous/current
layout. Initial question is here
http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/design/msg07254.html

Well, to me, the described issues are based on / caused by a combination
of (statements based on PPP "printerpullpages" work - see extensive
documentation at [1]):
      * I was told (by the former developer) that OOo is unable to
        directly connect with certain printer settings (e.g. page
        format) / information (e.g. printer status). Rationale: Effort
        for handling  different platforms and individual printer
        (drivers).
      * Due to LibO's complexity and complexity of printing in general
        (e.g. handling page style related page settings incl. printer
        tray VS. single separate printer setting) we run into a number
        of issues. First ideas to address these issues (e.g. inform the
        user) have been deferred/altered due to developer time
        constraints - see proposals [2] and [3].
      * Due to limited resources, the harmonization of different printer
        related features has been (guess what, sigh) deferred. For
        example:
              * "File - Printer Settings" still exists (looking and
                behaving totally different).
              * "Tools - Options... - LibreOffice - Print Options"
      * Print options (e.g. for Writer) are only partly saved in
        documents and therefore only partly restored. See the initial
        analysis at [4] (and [5]). Hasn't been addressed yet (guess
        why :-).
      * Add some bugs (e.g. on my system, specifying "A3" in the page
        style, using the printer setting "A4", finally results in
        "Letter" shown above the preview in the printer dialog)

All adds up to a messy printing experience for quite some use cases
(although I still think that PPP was a step in the right direction).