Le 09/07/2015 00:44, Jay Philips a écrit :
Hey Katarina and all,

Not sure if this is 100% relevant, but was something i was thinking
about last week.

I've been wondering why we dont rely on the OS's print dialog rather
than LO's internal one. It was something that came to mind as Heiko and
I discussed dialogs for the HIG and the general rule is that dialogs
should always utilize the OS's default dialogs, so that it LO integrates
better with a user's OS.

In LO 3.4ish, we moved from using LO's internal file management dialogs
to the OS's, so why didnt we do the same with the print dialog?

Because LO is several years old :-)
Let's come back to the OOo timeframe (~2009) :

from https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Printerpullpages :
"A new printing UI should give us better performance, more ease of use and overall more customer satisfaction. New features like the instant preview in a print dialog as well as unified N-Up printing for all applications will bring OOo's print experience more up to current standards. Additionally system integration can benefit by making use of native print dialogs (for which the MacOSX implementation will be the prime example)."

All subpages are *very* interesting from a design point of view :
(here are 2 with visuals)
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Printerpullpages/History_of_Design_Development
[this page is fantastic :
- you can easily see the evolution of proposals ; no need for gdoc ;-)
- just check how precise/complete proposals are ! we should have the same level of details in our current proposals
]

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Printerpullpages/Design_Proposals

As you can read, it was a huge work (design and dev) and the result is quite good.

So I think it actually makes no sense to come back to OS's print dialogs. Maybe add an exception to your rule ? :-)

Michel