Hi Stephan,

2015.01.28 11:20, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
When talking about (developer-side) scripting, is it actually OK to
commit modifications to the translations in the translations git
sub-repo?  My understanding was that such modifications would be
overwritten by the next "import commit" (as typically done by Andras,
AFAIU from some Pootle database).

The process as I see it would be somewhat like the following: when we
have a big enough string change, which can be scripted coming up, it
should be announced at least a few days in advance, that on day X time
Y, this change will land. Localizers should be allowed to choose whether
or not they want that particular big automatic change transparently
ported to their locales, with a sane default for those who don't voice
their choice by deadline (I suppose that usually the default should be
to perform the change for them as well).

On day X time Y, we close down the affected Pootle project, push its
localizations into git, then somebody who's in charge checks them out of
git and runs the script. When the script finishes its work, the
resulting files are committed back to git, imported back to Pootle and
the project is re-opened for translation. Once that is done, an
announcement should be sent to the L10n list with huge thanks for
everyone's patience and kudos to everybody involved in the process. And
we all live happily ever after. :)

Possible risks that I came up with:
* The process of exporting files from Pootle or importing them back
might take hours
    - I don't expect localizers to be too angry about that, because they
can do other stuff meanwhile (such as enjoy their Real Life or work on
other projects).
* The scripts might be buggy
    - Obviously, each time they should be tested in advance with at
least some real data and their result should be validated before committing.
* Some localizers might be too late to the train with their changes
    -  Well, first of all, they shouldn't be, but then we could also
have some buffer timeframe to cope with this issue.

On the bright side, I hope the massive changes we are talking about here
will be less and less frequent, making this issue less and less
relevant. From my understanding, we've already changed three dots with
ellipses and straight quotes with curly ones, there shouldn't be much
more typography to improve on, is there? :)

Rimas