Hi Mirek, all,

I agree that we should have leads to give an orientation to the design team.
However I don't agree with

"As Theodor
Nelson writes (and Jan Borchardt reiterates [1]), "The integration of
software cannot be achieved by committee, where everyone has to put in
their own additions (featuritis again). It must be controlled by
dictatorial artists with full say on the final cut. " "

I have experienced some committees against "creeping featurism" when I suggested new features (gnu-core-utils for example). I have no clue of what is the proportion of "committees" in open source software who fight strongly against featuritis but in my modest experience there is always someone against any new feature in any "committee". Probably there is no difference on featuritis between average committee and average dictator. To be honest, I'm quite bored of gratuitous attacks against democracy, debate, vote, etc.
If you can provide facts and data on this topic, I'll be happy to learn.

In order to be constructive and concrete, here is how I think we should have leads :
- leads should be elected for 6 months,
- if for some position, nobody applies, then the design team self-organizes (for the best and the worse as usual ;) ) - leads give an orientation to the work of the design team, organize the debate without censorship, - if a particular point yields a lot of conflicting opinions, the final say goes to a vote after all rationnal arguments have been synthetized by the lead.

Please comment any of these 4 points.

Best regards,
    Laurent