Le 10/11/2013 21:54, Stefan Knorr a écrit :
Hi all,

So, since I was asked to try my hand at a mockup design incorporating
the sidebar ... here goes this:

With recent files:
   https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87946285/libreoffice/startcenter/startcen.html

No recent files:
  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87946285/libreoffice/startcenter/startcen-empty.html

Nice!

A couple questions/suggestions though:

-- could the recent documents be sorted by module? eg. all Writer docs
together, all Calc spreadsheet together, and so on.

-- Here's something I very often hear or guess from the users to whom I
show the start centre: what is a "document"? what is a "spreadsheet"?
IOW, where's Calc or Writer?

The modules are named as such in the OS start menu. The different naming
in the start centre disturbs many users.
Thus, I'd suggest:
New Writer Text
New Calc Spreadsheet
(etc)
Of course, this leads to longer strings.

This is why many of the users I'm dealing with don't use the start
centre at all: too awkward for them. They much prefer having links on
the desktop directing to the individual modules they use and this is
what we actually do before installing the PCs. Anyway, they don't use
them much as well because they are used to double-clicking file names in
the file manager ;)

And before anyone says that this mockup is not branded enough, secondary
brand elements are included (colours, motif in the sidebar). The logo is
missing, but that is deliberate, to avoid clobbering people with
LibreOffice logo #2 in just a few seconds (splash screen being the first
one).

Well done.

Thanks again for attempting at a better UI.
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux