On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Samuel Mehrbrodt <s.mehrbrodt@gmail.com> wrote:
Am 07.04.2013 20:09, schrieb Keith Curtis:

Thanks for the info about PyGObject. I'll add that to the wiki page.
However, I wonder how well it works on Mac and Windows compared to
WxPython.

For Windows there are binaries compiled regularly here:
http://code.google.com/p/osspack32/downloads/list
Though I didn't test them.

For Mac I don’t know. You might ask on IRC.

Are you planning to use Gtk/WxWidgets only for the prototype or is that
something that could replace the current Interface at some point?

This is just planned to be a prototype, but it is nice to have
something that runs on the major platforms LibreOffice supports. It
allows to make sure it looks good everywhere and makes it easier for
more people to hack on it. I suppose something that runs on Linux and
Windows is probably good enough. I only use Linux so I don't really
care ;-)

Furthermore, maybe WxWidgets might make sense to one day (slowly)
LibreOffice's internal toolkit. VCL is very rich, but in an ideal
world, LibreOffice wouldn't have its own cross-platform widget
library. Obviously that is a lot of work, and might not even make
sense, but it is better to not write a bunch of code that limits
future options. In addition, sometimes prototypes end up living longer
than people expect. Of course, code can be ported between toolkits as
well so no decision is really irreversible.

I think it will be left to people like Michael Meeks. I'll just
document it and trust in people more knowledgeable to make the right
decision.

The big question for here is: what is the best design as a starting
point? If no one has any better bitmaps, it seems likely it will start
based on Paulo Jose's work, but he isn't a part of the LibreOffice
design team. The good news is that any constructive feedback from
Wolfgang and others can be more quickly adopted in Python. Ultimately,
however, there will need to be plenty of designer input, so the
sooner, the better.

Regards,

-Keith