There is also another thing we should consider here: the amount of work required for developers to implement the changes we are proposing. I would say that creating another set of icons is more feasible in the short run while an overall change of the GUI is a long term objective.

But long story short: I would suggest to create a mock-up with the icons changed and after that to make more proposals with a different approach for GUI.

Mirek just got ahead of me we few minutes by providing a link to the Android Design Style Guide in a different thread, but I'll mention it here again together with OS X guideline and Windows UX Guidelines for those interested to take a look:

Android
https://developer.android.com/guide/practices/ui_guidelines/icon_design.html
https://developer.android.com/design/style/iconography.html

OS X