- the "flat/monochrome icons" subject is more about *usability* than just aesthetic ; IMHO, it's
a waste of time to just want to change icons without a UI evolution.

- when you compare with Thunderbird, look how many icon are in the default toolbar ? 6 plus the
new "menu icon" at the far right.
most important, these 6 icons have a label.

- how many icons in LO ? ~40

- the endless discussion about having our own design rules or following each os rules has to be
closed by the TDF.

Speaking as an OS X user, current LO UI design does not fit well under Mac OS X. First of all,
neither OS X window bars are not designed to house this amount of icons LO has, nor it is not
feasible to try to implement this current toolbar design with a native OS X design approach. So
even if we change the icons with flat/monochrome ones, they will look alienated.

Most OS X software place a minimal number of icons to their window bar, and they take a different
approach for housing the other software functions.

Examples:

-MS Office has incorporated ribbon placed under the main window bar. Main window bar only houses
basic open/save/cut/copy/paste functions. Outlook has only six icons on the window bar.
-Pages has a minimal number of icons on the window bar, and an inspector is used to reach other
editing features. The window bar icons of Pages could be a nice reference point about how colour
icons can be placed within gray gradient.

Summary - I think, rather than converting all icons to flat/monochrome ones at this state, firstly
three different design approaches should be created. This can be started on the wiki, or polls at
the initial state. The point is, once the direction of the UI is set regardless of the coding power
needed, with each incremental update we could get easy to that point - and having a UI goal to
reach will surely attract more designers and developers to give a hand.

And then the number of icons or whatever stuff is needed could be decided upon.

I suggest every experts of three platforms should list their ideas with the contribution of the UX
team, under three headers, and then we can start to do whatever is necessary (mock-ups etc.).
Common wishes/ideas would construct the early sketches and the basic new UI design, then platform
specific changes could be applied more easily.

-Emir