On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:45 PM, Thibaut Brandscheid <randaltor@web.de>wrote:

Hi all

I took some time to mock-up how Writer could look.

1. Without less used icons and without the separator color
I locked the two toolbars to get rid of the grabbing area and removed the
color of all vertical separators, except the one in the lower right corner,
to separate the zoom amount from the horizontal zoom slider.

Image: http://ubuntuone.com/56vCLYWwuluBmdoa7Mi7Vz

Buttons removed:
 * 'Document as E-mail' button
 * 'Edit File' button
 * 'Page Preview' button
 * 'Spelling and Grammar' button
 * 'Show Draw Functions'
 * 'Navigator'
 * 'Gallery'
 * 'Data Sources'
 * 'LibreOffice Help'
 * 'Styles and Formatting'

2. Reordered toolbar icons
======================
To save place and re-balance the UI I moved the less used 'Apply Style'
drop-down menu to the upper right.

Image: http://ubuntuone.com/3ydcBWGX78PFF30OH6KFLJ

I already like the result and would be happy if LO would ship with such
default toolbars in Writer. All suggested changes - except the removed
color of the vertical separators - are done by simple LO toolbar
manipulations.

The toolbars don't miss IMHO anything, but are short enough to be always
displayed - even on a small netbook screen (would need to be checked). The
upper toolbar, left side - btw the most valuable place in every program -
has the basic file and print stuff there, the rest of the upper toolbar
contains less used actions.
The lower toolbar contains all the needed day-to-day buttons - but not much
clutter.

But there is still space for improvements...

3. Further reordered + more drop-downs + other UI elements removed
For the third try I changed the UI (and therefore the UX too) more
drastically, without reinventing Writer.

Image: http://ubuntuone.com/3Q9Nve4ZCHUMiSL0B8OLue

Cleaned-up, reordered or removed UI elements:
 * The bottom toolbar got cleaned-up
 * I removed the buttons beneath the scrollbar
 * The 'Table' button moved to the lower toolbar
 * The 'Nonprinting Character' button moved to the lower toolbar
 * The less used text formatting options got collapsed into a drop-down
 * The list buttons got collapsed into a drop-down
 * Added more space between the text formatting and the list drop-down
button

Compare the image with the current default UI... I think my last mock-up is
much better.
It is more clean, has less lines, still looks like LibreOffice, but is much
more easily to catch with the eyes. All day-to-day tasks can be found in
the lower - better targetable - toolbar. Plus a lot of clutter has been
reduced.

The toolbar at the bottom of Writer looks cleaner - an average user will
have no problem to recognize every displayed information.

That's it for now

Kind Regards
Thibaut