If some of you have been following the marketing and website mailing list, you may have read a bit about a need for LibreOffice buttons (with no subline) for external website use.

Would any members of the design team be interested in running up some buttons that would be used for external website use? It looks like we could offer these on the LibreOffice website as well as host the buttons so that website owners would only have to add the appropriate script on their site.

FYI, I've collected some data for you if you are interested. Some of the links will give you a good idea of what is needed. Essentially we need a number of buttons in various sizes for website owners to pick through.

Here are the links that I have found so far on this topic:

==============================

NN (not really sure, but I think this is Nick) created a whiteboard on "External Banners" which holds valid information of parameters to constructing "web banners/buttons. For organizational purposes, this wiki page could be adjusted to include buttons:
* http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/External_web_banners

==============================

You can get a good idea of sample sizes that we would need from other project pages who offer such buttons:

* AOO buttons page: http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/art/galleries/marketing/web_buttons/ooo20buttons.html

* http://www.getfirefox.net/button.html ("GetFirefox" buttons page as an example of button sizes that we could use.)

==============================

Here are some button/banner samples and wiki pages that could inspire you. Maybe some of the buttons may need updating with the LibreOffice motif:

* http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding/Banner_Proposals
* http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:See (page by Alex -- see "Spread the Word" section on this page) * http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Nik#Quick.27n.27dirty_banner (page by Nik -- a quick and dirty banner that avoid glossy effect) * http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Gallery_Buttons (this page has a couple of placeholders -- created by Bernhard Dippold) * http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Existing_Designs#Introduction (There could be some samples or ideas that could be used to build banners/buttons on this page: Existing Designs wiki page) * http://lo-portal.us/images/LibreOffice-logo.png (Drew also points us to this design on this site) http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LibreOffice266x60.png (community based logo with scatter by Drew) http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Libreoffice468x60-donate.png (Donate banner with scatter by Drew)

==============================

Here are some threads that have discussed the need for "buttons for external website use":

* http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentation.libreoffice.marketing/1574 (2010-12-11) * http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.design/83 (2010-12-11) * http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentation.libreoffice.marketing/3830 (2011-7-15) * http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.design/2730 (2011-7-16) * http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentation.libreoffice.marketing/3914 (2011-7-29)
* http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss/7497
* http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentation.libreoffice.marketing/5182 (2012-4-12)

==============================

Once discussed/approved they should be posted on the "Gallery of Marketing and Design Resources" wiki page:
* http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Visual_Elements.

This page is where the marketing team will pick through when in need of design material for marketing projects. This wiki page was put up to keep our resources organized in a central location. Materials posted on this page has been approved by the design/marketing-team.

Hosting buttons on TDF servers:

It looks like we are able to host the buttons on our TDF servers. The "buttons" will be scripted and published on a webpage so that website owners could install into their pages. You can find the discussion of this here: * http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.website/7645

It would be nice if someone could help out with creating these buttons as we have been receiving requests for buttons since the very first week of the creation of the LibreOffice project.

Many thanks for any help.

Marc