Þann sun 26.feb 2012 19:11, skrifaði Mirek M.:
Hi Kévin
2012/2/26 Kévin PEIGNOT<peignot.kevin@kpeignot.fr>

Hi

I was looking in LIbO source and I discovered icons are "localized" : There
is a font a font for franch icon (example : B for Bold is G for Gras). So
it seems we can have localised icons, not using letter A but corresponding
letter

I know, but it's inconsistent: highlighting, font color, subscript,
superscript, and others aren't localized. Surprisingly, though, within the
English LibreOffice, the icons, even though they're localized, use "A" as a
symbol for bold, italic, and underline.
It's going to be easier if we drop localized versions.

From a l10n point of view *A*, /A/ and _A_ are much more logical and easier to maintain. If done right. There may be languages where no single word can describe the respective property, there may be scripts where the respective symbol does not fit into an icon.

On the other hand, an "A" is a general symbol for "alphabet" - existing in most input methods (keyboards, touch-screens) and probably used in some way in most languages.

Many distributions/admins I know of have abandoned themes with B-I-U for *A*-/A/-_A_ a long time ago (if remembering correctlu by setting OOo to Industrial theme, but now Tango supports these icons).

So I think *A*-/A/-_A_ should be the default, but of course if some language team thinks differently, there should be choice - if there is a robust mechanism for inserting localised versions (from pootle?).

Scripting such things should not be overly complicated, an example has been the Fedora countdown banners where a server side function (PHP_search_replace?) is used to substitute a date on the fly:
<http://www.nett.is/~sveinki/libreoffice/deepsky-fedora11-countdown-banner_is.svg>
English version here: <http://www.nett.is/~sveinki/libreoffice/deepsky-fedora11-countdown-banner_en.svg>.

In this case translators had to parse an SVG to replace placeholders, while the server only replaced the '%%':
<http://www.nett.is/~sveinki/libreoffice/f11count_is.svg>
It could easily replace the translations as well, according to locale.

But I see this as more adequate for producing localised web banners and such; in the above examples you can see the problems many would run into (cut-off text, general layout, and what about kerning?). It really has to be bullet-proof to work for icons.

Just thoughts,

Sveinn í Felli