Hello Stefan,

2011/12/11 Stefan Knorr (Astron) <heinzlesspam@googlemail.com>

Hi Charles, Alex,

the good news is, it isn't too late for 3.5 until we get to RC1 –
there are some relevant Steering Call notes here I think, but I don't
have them at hand right now.

If it's possible then let's do it, yes, but I think we should not worry if
it only gets in for the 3.6.

The other thing is, for something this high-profile, a review+ from
Christoph is probably in order.

yup, put him in cc.

Then, there's the licensing question... Alex, you (apparently) used
the folder icon from Ubuntu's human theme and modified its hue for one
of the folder images. That in itself is great (we are an open-source
project after all), but I assume that the source image you took is not
available under LGPL3+/MPL (which we require for new inclusions in
LibO) [1]. I haven't checked the license, though; so if it's made
available under another license, that might make my concerns
irrelevant.

So, I just spend some time editing your Open File icon ... learned a
bit about Inkscape and then when I was finished I also learned that
there's a Tango theme in the public domain [2], they are not the most
attractive Tango icons, but anyway, it made me feel like I had spent
this morning rather pointlessly. Anyway, the result from my edits in
your Open File image is here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Openfile.svg
It is not perfect (there are some jagged edges etc.), but given that I
am not the most talented artist, I think it is okay. One thing I
noticed is that in the PD Tango icons, there is always a little
document coming out of the folder. Maybe this should be added.

I will try myself at the triangular puzzle piece next. Let's see.

In any case, it would be wonderful, Alex, if you could make single SVG
files at the right size for each of your icons. Please also add a
shadow to them. The workflow is explained quite well here:

http://vector.tutsplus.com/tutorials/illustration/how-to-create-a-vector-light-bulb-icon-with-inkscape/

good catch Alex, thank you a lot for your help!

best,
Charles.

.

Regards,

Astron.

[1] I know, we do include a PNG version of this same icon in LibO, but
I still don't think you can just use the differently licensed SVG
version for these purposes.
[2]
http://web.archive.org/web/20090321201509/http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Library