On Sat, 2011-06-25 at 07:07 +1000, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 16:43 -0400, Marc Paré wrote:
Le 2011-06-24 11:26, eskroni a écrit :
Hi Marc,

Marc Paré wrote:
I just checked on my system (Mageia 1 ->  a Mandriva fork), FreeSans is
not installed. How is the Liberation font family for print? This font is
definitely installed on all linux boxes. If we are to adopt a specific
font, we should make sure that it is a maintained font and that we can
either have a link to a site where it can be downloaded from or we
should store in on our own servers. I also think that it should be
opensource.

I think I had seen somewhere on one of the wiki pages, a specific
recommendation for a font for print, was is not Vegur?

I'm not sure, that it was a recommmendation - Vegur is the font, that is
used for the LibreOffice logo.

I've made a few more screenshots with the Clearlooks theme and the different
greens from the
LibO branding page.

You can find them all here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/DE/Doku/Allgemein/Screenshots

I also made those screenshots under Mageia 1, I didn't set a specific font.
It just says "Sans"
or "Sans Bold". For one set of screenshots I changed from a 10 point font to
12 points, to see
how this would look like. For the font rendering I chose "Best contrast"
inspite of me having a
flatscreen monitor.

Any comments are welcome.

Sigrid

Thanks for doing this Sigrid

One comment is that maybe next time, not have the spell check on for
these. It just make it a little more difficult for evaluation. We really
need the comments from the documentation team people on the look and
feel for our documents and especially for print. At this point, we
should try to accommodate the comments from Jean Hollis Weber on this
topic and try to find a theme OR create our own theme for this purpose.
Maybe none of the "pre-packaged" themes will work for what we need.

I've briefly looked at the samples Sigrid and someone else posted.
Thanks to both of you! My first thought is that a variation on
Clearlooks (colour and perhaps font) should work very well. But I want
to do some printing tests on a b/w printer before saying more. I'll get
back to this list with more comments later today (it's 07:00 here).

--Jean

My tests suggest that for printing in grayscale, the best choice from
Sigrid's collection uses Clearlooks modified to use the Green 1 colour
for highlighting and title bar backgrounds; it has very good contrast
with the white text in title bars and highlighted menu selections. I
used Liberation Sans at font size 11.

The other parts of Clearlooks (grays and whites in dialog boxes) print
clearly with good contrast. I would be very happy to see the Green 1
variation selected to be the standard LibreOffice theme.

--Jean