Le 2011-06-23 14:30, Bernhard Dippold a écrit :
Hi again,

I'll start with my thoughts on the topic.

Fell free to provide yours.

Once we finished this collection and basic discussion we should move the results to a dedicated wiki page for further reference.
But for the direct discussion I prefer the mailing list more:

Bernhard Dippold wrote:
> [...]
>
> Consistency is a relevant part of Visual Identity and therefore I'd
> like to ask you all provide your thoughts on
>
> 1) how such a UI theme should look like

- It should be clean, balanced and friendly as we refer to LibreOffice on our branding wiki page: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding#Branding

- It should look familiar to Windows users, so they don't consider the office suite as "geeky" and specially designed for GNU/Linux users.

- It should look up-to-date to most users, so Windows XP style should be avoided (as it resembles too many people to an "old-fashioned" office suite).

- It should be accessible for visually impaired people (at least for the most common cases like red-green color blindness).

- It should have enough contrast to print well in greylevels.

> 2) what other conditions should be met

- It should *not* use a standard Windows theme, because there are legal issues [1].

- It should be available for most users, because providing screenshots is a task that might be solved by new contributors on their first steps into our community (if we provide the necessary background to take the screenshots in a consistent way).

> 3) which existing UI theme would serve best as standard for
> screenshots

Sigrid already uploaded a variety of themes to this wiki page:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/DE/Doku/Allgemein/Screenshots

On the de-discuss list she voted for the theme "Clearlooks" because
- it is the standard theme on Gnome
- it has been ported to KDE as "Cleanlooks"
- it is available for Windows XP too, so even Windows users can take screenshots without the legal restrictions mentioned above.
(sorry, German:[2])

> Do you think these 3 questions could lead to a consensus on a theme
> to be used? Should we add more points?

Best regards

Bernhard

[1]: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/msg01950.html
[2]: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/de/discuss/msg06547.html

(Mail-archive.com seems not to be reachable at the moment)

I agree with all of these points. The ones that I would highlight, especially for our uses is the ability for contributing users being able to install the chosen theme easily on a *nix environment with the most popular windowing support such as KDE/Gnome; the theme should be optimized for print (as much as possible). If needed, a variance of the chosen theme could be designed in such as way that there be a slight difference to satisfy requirement from website use (more visual) and the documentation (visual + print). IMO, best if the theme could be the same setup for both, but, in the end, there may be different needs from one group and the other.

Cheers

Marc

--
Marc Paré