I've just found the time to finish this mock-up for the Styles and Formatting window. It can be found here, please have a look:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Styles_and_Formatting_window

I tried to add some of the funcionalities we discussed here, while not varying much from the current look and feel. Mainly I have added button shortcuts to many function, and a much desired list:
- checkbox for "auto update style", now re-phrased;
- direct access to "style properties dialog";
- list of applied styles (indicating whether they're actual styles, and the type of them, or direct formatting, in which case there's a thorough list of formatting applied, and a button to reset (same as Ctrl+M);
- new options in the drop-down buttons;
- preview!

This is it. Please show me some feedback if this is appreciated, but mostly if there are things missing or things that seem confusing (my main goal was to add ease of use for experienced users, and some hinting to encourage new users who are not familiar with styles).

Cheers.
Rafael./