Hi all!

Quick reply (tm) ... :-)

Am Freitag, den 29.04.2011, 20:29 +0200 schrieb RGB ES:
2011/4/29 Michel RENON <michel.renon@free.fr>:
Le 26/04/11 22:04, Christoph Noack a écrit :

[ ... Styles Proposal ... ]

Of course, there are other ways of improving the use of Styles ... but
this needs a whiteboard :-)

Ricardo, Michel, all - what do you think? Something we might work out
for EasyHacks?

Hmmm... Styles are not so easy... (IMHO)
So it would be for "NotSoEasyHack" ;-)

Oh, the dev pages are full of them as well.

That's why I ask you if it's possible to create a pre-whiteboard :
before working on new UI for styles, can we explain/analyse very precisely
how styles work in LibreOffice 3.4 ?
For example, I have to tell you that I don't understand in Writer :
- what are the relations between "numbering styles" and "outlines"

I think here we can rely on the excellent documentation which is already
available. Here is what's available in Writer:
http://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Instructions_for_Using_Writer#Headings.2C_Types_of_Numbering

Or, the Oracle guys provide some good specifications for that:
http://specs.openoffice.org/writer/index.html

And, of course - and as Ricardo already started - just ask to get a
feeling how Styles do work.

For example, my two proposals for improving the use of styles would be
(but have to be checked):
      * Pre-define the paragraph styles related to numbering by
        referring to the numbering styles having the same name
      * Manual numberings / lists should inherit the settings of the
        first "corresponding" numbering style

[...]
Too long for an email... in fact, there is one chapter of my book on
Writer (Spanish only, sorry) only devoted to how numbered lists are
aligned...

:-)

[...]

So as I already said on another thread, we have a powerful, solid but
obscure system for numbering. Once you understand how it works, it's
just great, but learning how it works... not an easy task.

True, and I think that's exactly the reason why we should make it more
visible - that might reduce the need for fiddling around with manual
settings without knowing what to do.

Cheers
Ricardo

Thanks Ricardo, Michel!