Hi Astron!

Wow, I'm impressed :-) That's very good to start with ... cool that
you've already added the Competitor View. Good analysis!

Am Freitag, den 22.04.2011, 23:29 +0200 schrieb Astron:
Hi,
so, I've started a Whiteboard page at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/PropertiesButtonLayout
. It could still use some formatting and I'm not too sure about how to
embed the images the best way but see for yourselves.

To me, it's absolutely fine at the moment ... talking about the idea
(even a bit more). Sure, one of the next steps should add details on the
behavior.

So, I'm hesitant to apply any changes without having them discussed,
so ...

      * General: We really have to take care if someone alters a style -
        many user questions (in the past) have been caused since people
        don't get the idea of "derived" styles and therefore think
        setting back a value to its original value means to revert a
        change (in fact, they are setting a new value which isn't
        updated). To me, we really need a good "Revert" functionality
        (in addition to the "atomic" undo). (=Version 2)
      * What happens for different objects with the same properties
        dialog? For example, the user edits "Text Style 1" and does some
        changes. The dialog is kept open, then the user wants to edit
        "Text Style 2" - will we open a second dialog (unlikely), or
        update the already visible text styles dialog?
      * Version 1:
              * "Enter" won't work in most cases, since it is bound to
                the default button in the dialogs. Today, if you enter a
                value and "hit" Enter, then you confirm the dialog. The
                problem is, that we don't have a dedicated confirm key,
                so ...
              * Confirmation:
                      * The button "Close" confirms if the focus is in a
                        field/selection with a changed value which is
                        not yet confirmed
                      * The "default" button should be "Close" (and
                        reacts on Enter)
                      * Changing the focus to another input element /
                        group / tab confirms (e.g. using the key "Tab")
                      * Confirmation is done via incremental changes
                        (e.g. if using the increase/decrease buttons of
                        a number input field)
                      * Proposal/Idea: If the user is editing a
                        number/text field (thus: the field is in focus),
                        then ENTER confirms the value. If the user
                        presses ENTER again, then the default button
                        action is executed.
      * Version 2:
              * The described functionality does rather fit to "Revert"
                than "Reset". In LibO, Reset has an other meaning.
              * What will be the action of "Revert"? I need further
                thinking, but likely we have two options ...
                      * Reverting all items that have been changed in
                        the current "properties dialog session" --> All
                        changes that have been done while the dialog was
                        visible/open will be reverted.
                      * Reverting all items that have been changed
                        during the dialog had the focus --> All changes
                        are "collected" when the user works with the
                        dialog. If the user switches to another dialog,
                        or document (maybe: changes the document) the
                        changes will be finally applied.
              * Properties Dialogs: In my point-of-view, some of the
                dialogs should keep the "old" behavior. For example, the
                "Rename Sheet" dialog, or the "AutoCorrect" dialog ... I
                think we'll need some criteria (will also think about
                it).

Sorry for that many comments and questions ... but (especially here) the
devil is in the detail, I'm sure. Please bear with me :-)

Additionally, such changes will affect a lot of places and users. So may
it make sense to add a "development plan", like:
      * prototypical realization in one or two dialogs as an
        experimental feature
      * checking with the community (maybe asking some users) and other
        teams
      * refinement of the behavior (from experience, always required
        *g*)
      * agreeing on the larger change and handing over to the
        development

Concerning the competition, we have been very cautious with regard to
Microsoft screenshots - the legal situation is rather unclear, so we
usually try to avoid to use them. Instead, I usually try to link to
images to be found in the web.

What do you think?

Thanks and keep up the very good work!

Cheers,