On Fri, 2011-04-22 at 16:54 +0200, RGB ES wrote:

2011/4/22 Vamsi Kodali <vmskdl@gmail.com>:
I'm thinking now on something more "complex", a sort of evolution from
ComposeSpecialCharacter extension that can be called QuickSymbol:
suppose a menu where you can select your more used symbols, put them
on a table and assign to them an "alias", something like b for β, etc.
Now, suppose that this QuickSymbol have a keyboard shortcut assigned,
something like Alt+C: then, if you in the text type b and them press
Alt+C the b is replaced by β. The main advantage from Compose... is,
clearly, the ability to choose your own preferred symbols and to
choose your preferred alias, so you do not need to rely on a
predefined and not possible to edit replacement table full of symbols
that you probably do not need.
What do your think?

Your idea is definitely more quicker than going to a menu and clicking on buttons. In fact, my
current workaround to insert frequently used symbols quickly into a text is by utilizing the
AutoCorrect options. The ComposeSpecialCharacter and QuickSymbol approaches, although more
specialized, sound similar to the AutoCorrect method.

But the problem with those approaches is that the user is required to remember shortcuts and
these features may be a little hard to discover. We still keep the Cut/Copy/Paste/Undo/Redo
buttons in spite of their popularity, right?

Right ;) But that does not means we do not have keyboard shortcuts.
Maybe the ideal situation would be to implement both aspect: an easy
symbol menu and an easy "insert my preferred symbols" method.
Cheers
Ricardo

What if allow the user assign the shortcut, may be they have to use Alt
instead of Ctrl? The assignment is made by what mnemonic method the user
wants to use, if they want to use any. I tend to use a few shortcuts
myself but others love them. This avoids have preassigned shortcuts the
user may hate.
--
Jay Lozier
Jslozier@gmail.com