2011/4/21 Vamsi Kodali <vmskdl@gmail.com>:

Even if I also use special characters a lot, I think that this request
is best suited for an extension than for a core feature.
I am not sure if I agree with that, but I will happily settle with an extension :-)

I would like to help draft a specifications for this. I think the mock
up is a good visual start.

Any thoughts? Who would we forward the specifications?

That would be great! I can also 'help'. I have never drafted any specifications so I am not sure
what it entails but I can follow instructions pretty well...

Here is another mockup that I made. http://flic.kr/p/9AxzF9 It shows what I envision happens when
someone clicks on the special character toolbar button. The table of symbols looks a little large
because I basically used the current dialog box but we can decrease the size a little bit in the
working version. For comparison, here's what the font color chooser looks like currently
http://flic.kr/p/9AxCzu

I'm thinking now on something more "complex", a sort of evolution from
ComposeSpecialCharacter extension that can be called QuickSymbol:
suppose a menu where you can select your more used symbols, put them
on a table and assign to them an "alias", something like b for β, etc.
Now, suppose that this QuickSymbol have a keyboard shortcut assigned,
something like Alt+C: then, if you in the text type b and them press
Alt+C the b is replaced by β. The main advantage from Compose... is,
clearly, the ability to choose your own preferred symbols and to
choose your preferred alias, so you do not need to rely on a
predefined and not possible to edit replacement table full of symbols
that you probably do not need.
What do your think?
Cheers
Ricardo