2011/4/21 Vamsi Kodali <vkkodali@gmail.com>:
I suggested this idea to the OOo developers some time ago. I believe no one
is working on it though (Unfortunately, I cannot contribute anything in
terms of code). So, this is my second try. Hopefully, this time I will be
more successful.

As a researcher, I often use a lot of symbols and keep accessing the Insert
Special Character menu. I now have a button on the toolbar which saves me
a click but it would still take me to special character browser where I have
to pick the character I need. Since most people have only about a dozen or
so special characters that they frequently use, I thought the button on the
toolbar be changed to the one similar to a color picker which gives access
to the several colors quickly. I have a mockup here:http://flic.kr/p/8Fj1FC

Vamsi.

Hello!
Even if I also use special characters a lot, I think that this request
is best suited for an extension than for a core feature.
I use a lot an extension called "Compose Special Characters":
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/ComposeSpecialCharacters
this extension have many predefined characters and permits you to
insert others through their unicode value. Also, being a KDE user I
have the "character runner" app... but that's another history.
But I agree that the ability (either through a new feature or through
an extension) to choose the most used characters and insert them on an
easy way would be really helpful.
Maybe if we arrive to a good specification someone will bring it to life :)
Cheers
Ricardo