On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 01:01 +0100, Bernhard Dippold wrote:
Hi Drew, *

drew schrieb:
On Sun, 2011-02-20 at 23:15 +0100, Bernhard Dippold wrote:
Hi Drew, *

thanks for sharing :-)

drew schrieb:
[...]

A screen shot of the look:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/d/de/NA-CommDVD-community_theme.png

Looks quite common to me ;-)

[...]

Anyway - any strong objections to my using that header?

Not from my side.

I'm sure you kept the license (CC-by-sa-3.0) for the site,

It's not to be a site, well, it is on a DVD and yes it is setup as a web
site - but it (the image on my machine) is not going up as a site
anywhere.

Ok - I just wanted to avoid licensing issues. You didn't include the
footer of the page in your screenshot, so I had to guess...

Ah - why would I do that here?

I did put a copy of the html used for the new footer the US ML and a
screen shot of it for comment - it needs a little format change still
IMO actually.

_and_

It will be a site available via WiFi for those near the booth for 2 days
- but past that, nope no site. (probably - if I remember to take the
second router.*smile*)

This is a really good idea - I hope your router will be able to handle
hundreds and thousands of connections... ;-)

Nope - but don't need to - it's just a download station, not a way onto
the internet - pop on and you find exactly one server and one web site,
that's it - there is no outbound connections - anyway, if it isn't
working there are USB sticks ready to go - so we can still get it onto
peoples machines.

[won't have a full clone of the git repository - source code and sdk,
and some ODF tools, will have to suffice - this time - but I like that
idea]

There is a separate, though related, work effort underway, where there
is a site being use so that multiple people can see the progress - but
that again is intended just as a disc ISO file - not as a live site -
the LibreOfficeBox site in fact, is not the same to the iso image - at
least with the latest copy of the iso that I could find.

IIRC the LibreOffice-Box site is a copy of the development area, so it
might be more up-to-date than the last ISO.

Probably - but you have to just start with something and we both started
with the latest file we could find.

But the team is (like all of us) just starting their work, so this might
be different at the moment.

yup

[...]

and
design-wise it's not exactly the same as our website (IIRC this or a
very similar navigation has been used in the past).

right - guess that would be the consequence of the line in the email
about it being grafted on top of the libreoffiebox iso image files -
that is the look of the 3.3.0.1-2_DVD image from a week ago, with as few
changes as I can make. I did add more space above the logo, and the
header might be a bit too big now...don't know, maybe.

If you don't want to move the "North American Community DVD" subline to
the right hand side, I'd keep it that high.

[...]

Anyway when it's finished it will all be available - for anyone to do or
not what they see fit with it.

Providing such a DVD at SCALE is just great - if people want to re-use
it for other opportunities, this might be the basis for our distributor
team...

Well, this is a lot of by hand, static html, work and speed is driving
the train right now, making some set of useful pages work and look good
for the show this way is one thing..but we will have to see what it is
like at the end as to actual re-use value,

[didn't really change the license - BTW]

but I digress the email was just about the Community
;-)

I for one would not mind the US marketing team using the logo with TDF
subline - as it is a community effort by an approved LibreOffice team.

Well, maybe it is different in Germany, it may likely be so and perhaps
precisely because of the pro-box teams success, but in the US lots of
individuals maintained there on personal OO.o distro discs, many (that I
knew of) where based on the iso images available from the OO.o site, but
then folks rather fashioned a different UI to them - (people use for
gifts mostly) - people are starting to work on that - given the talk on
this list about what one can't do - the logo, the icons, lots of things
- all needed policy I know - I'm trying to listen to what you ask for
and to stick to it - to stay on the side of the trademark issues, the
branding issues and have something at least pleasant to look at - and to
get am acceptable baseline 'community branded' (meaning not TDF branded)
iso image together for these folks to use a reference, and for my own
use likely.

Long sentence - no way to reply to parts of it ;-)

I know about the different DVDs and designs mentioned on the global
marketing list. If you want to share your design with them, the logo you
used fits perfectly - and if the design will be reused by them, I'll be
very happy.

I just wanted to point out, that an effort done by an officially
approved community team can be seen differently than single person's
distributions. My idea would be to invite them to become part of the
team and (if licenses are compatible) integrate their additions to the
community DVD. But this doesn't mean to be a necessary or the best
solution ever...

Right - I agree - of course, did that actually.

One can do both, work on the shared and the personal.

One OT item - Bernhard, This list lately has a lot of talk about people
already doing harm to the brand - since I don't see much beyond the
German team and the US team producing marketing pieces I take it that
harm is coming from me, if that is so please

I don't think that you have been meant by such discussion (I really
don't remember such a thread during the last weeks).

You probably remember that I commented a poster by you with regards to
background of the logo - but this has been loooong ago.

(I didn't comment the present SCaLE poster - it looks as if you modified
the logo highlights a bit, but for the single event this should be okay)

Honestly - I was a little disappointed no one offered to help with that
- it could of been a lot better IMO and likely without too much more
effort, someone paid an arm and a leg to make that one print, I won't
see the final product till Friday, in LA, and I am really nervous about
it. I hope people will cough up the mullah for a chance to own it.

- If you can tell me what I've done so far that is doing this - I can
try to fix it. Are white backgrounds really that big a problem?

I don't understand the question. Can you point me to an example?

Neither do I - perhaps anybody else here or on the marketing list...

It's not a big deal, it was just a couple of general comment somewhere
in todays email scanning.

Best wishes,

Drew