Hi Seb,

Seb schrieb:
Hi,
Sorry for just jumping in, perhaps this has been discussed before, but
why are we trying to make MIME type icons?

I refer to Mimetype icons as desktop representations for application, documents and templates.

MIME types icons should have nothing to do with the application used
to create your files. That would be a bit like Firefox or Chrome
bundling in their own icon for html documents.

On my Windows XP html files show the IE symbol, word documents the MS Office graphics and so on.

Several file types use previews instead of symbols, but even if these might be the standard, the user can select between them.

MIME icons are usually
decide at the OS level (or Desktop environment Unix systems) or by the
organization responsible for the file format.  The fact is Windows
will have it's own icons while Gnome, KDE, Haiku, AROS and what not
might choose somthing else that fit their visual style better. This
should be our job.

At the moment LibreOffice contains the icons you mention below:

Also Bernhard mentions the the goal is "to replace the OOo galaxy icon
theme".  Galaxy icons are UI icons aren't they? So we shouldn't we be
working on icons like those found here
http://ui.openoffice.org/VisualDesign/OOo_galaxy.html ?

In fact, the full set of Mimetype icons is to be found here:
http://ui.openoffice.org/VisualDesign/OOo30MimeType.html

As you will see, these sets contain icons for documents and templates too.

In my eyes it is quite important to avoid the impression that LibO is based on an old version of OOo (OOo changed their icons with version 3.2.1 to the mainly grey ODF icons) - and we are nearly too late to have them integrated in the product for the release of LibO 3.3.0.

Also there seems to be confusion about application and MIME type
icons. Sure we need to make and icons for each product(writer, calc,
etc.)

That was the reason for creating these icons - but not only the application icons should be replaced, the document and template icons are similar.

But they don't have to look like a document. They can look like
anything.

As mentioned in my other mail (don't know if you had already been subscribed here), these icons are meant as interim solution until we have enough time for thorough investigation and community based design of a new icon set as well a community based LibreOffice branding.

To avoid introducing new graphical elements that might be replaced in LibO 3.4 or 3.5, we just used the present branding: The TDF symbol and the LibO colors.

The TDF symbol is document based, therefore our icons look like documents (I don't think this is a bad idea, BTW).

But when we start developing the community branding all this will be able to be discussed and decided.

Best regards

Bernhard