Hi Christoph, all

Christoph Noack schrieb:
[...]

This mail is about the MIME type icons - but this time, I don't want to
share another draft, I'd rather like to summarize the current status of
the discussion.

Thus, I created a page below my user page and tried to collect the
drafts, statements, requirements, discussion, ... If there is anything
missing, please don't hesitate to make heavy use of it (add, move, ...).

Thank you very much for this effort.

One thing you might notice is another proposal "Rework ODF icons Set".
You might agree that the ODF icons are a complete set that are visually
pleasing - the main "problem" is the missing distinctiveness when it
comes to the different file types. Since they are very similar (the gray
shades) to the LibreOffice branding, they may serve as a starting point
for an initial set.

Thus, I picked some of the available PNGs and tweaked them - adding
colored badges (e.g. Yellow ODG for Draw, Blue ODT for Writer), and also
added the same color to the objects within the icons (very subtle).
Personally, I think it would serve as a great interim solution - but at
the moment I'm uncertain about the license. Therefore I hesitate to
share them, until this is clarified.

It's what we proposed on the OOo UX list more than one year ago ...

But I can't help you with the license.
My question about this topic on the UX list [1] stayed unreplied for about three weeks. I'm not really certain that we can understand this as agreement to my licensing question.

Okay, but - at the moment - you might be more interested in the page
I've already mentioned:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:ChristophNoack/Initial_MIME_Icons

Ivan, Bernhard, Thorsten, ... please join!

I added a line about my last version of the proposal I just uploaded to the wiki:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/d/d9/LibreOffice_Mimetype_icon_proposal_0.3.svg

I didn't comment by now (time problem...),

but I just want to mention, that the Tango icons you mentions are mainly meant for the menus, while the mimetype icons at the bottom show a pair of gulls in front of a circular symbol.

I don't know if we really want to go this way.

Sorry for not having more time at the moment - hopefully during the next days...

Best regards

Bernhard

Oh, there is one thing left. It seems that things at work are getting a
bit crazy (workload, unexpected business trip); along with some private
stuff (still finalizing our move...), it is unlikely that I will be able
to participate in any discussion from Wednesday to Monday :-(

So perhaps we can discuss how to proceed until Tuesday?

Best regards

Bernhard

PS: As RC1 has already been uploaded to the mirrors, time is more than short if we want to have other icons integrated in LibO3.3.0 than the present OOo galaxy ones. So please join our discussion *now*, work on improving the design we decide on and/or create small icon versions or high contrast icons from the existing ones.

PPS: As we probably will need this when the icons have been created: Does anybody know how to create the .ICNS files I assume Mac will need?