Hi Ivan, Bernhard, all!

Am Montag, den 29.11.2010, 00:10 +1300 schrieb Ivan M.:
Hi Bernhard, Christoph, all,

This is a little late, but when putting things into practice, small
details come up.

Isn't that usual? ;-)

First, the good part: I managed to get some headway in Inkscape and
create basic designs for 16x16 and 32x32 document icons that are
pixel-perfect (the preview image doesn't show this) [1].

Cool, thanks!

They're missing the application icons
[...]
I'll leave that for someone more skilled. [in Inkscape]

Hey, I'm more than happy that you changed the tool in order to improve
our collaboration :-) And, I think there will be some more minor
iterations, so the application icons might wait (a second, or two).

Now, the ambiguous part: working with the color pallet at [2], I found
some small points of possible improvement. [...]

That doesn't mean I propose we use these colors, but
rather that we make small adjustments to the existing color table. It
would be ideal if we could use the same corresponding colors from each
set of colors (i.e. use Blue 1 for the Writer icon where Green 1 is
used in the Calc icon...)

Yep, of course. Although I did some designs in advance, I noticed this
for the icons as well. Although I had hoped to have some final colors to
enable the guys who (might have started) the marketing material, slight
changes might be possible.

Now the good message from my side: Since we do have this weird Calc
table [1] for creating the palettes, the is not that much hazzle.

I will comment on Bernhard's design tomorrow - hopefully what I just
wrote makes some sense :)

Well, I also added some icons to the wiki - to be viewed in Inkscape,
please. Although there are pixel-perfect, the remaining stuff is more
pixel than perfect (color gradient issues, unnecessarily stacked
objects, ...). Personally, I still don't like them that much, but it
should work.

Since some of us talked about to keep the "TDF Document Symbol" as clean
as possible, I went back to use the old metaphor with the "dog-ear"
edge. Okay, here they are: [2].

Some organizational stuff ... Today, I've asked concerning the MIME type
icons for the LibO 3.3 release within the SC phone conference [3].
Although we need to wait a bit longer for the minutes, here is the
(hopefully) essential information:
      * Technically, a release is possible at the end of December, but
        people think that this might not be the best time (Christmas),
        thus early January will be targeted.
      * Changing the icons is possible and the chance for introducing
        "regressions" seems rather low. But, ...
      * People might have started to create marketing material
        (screenshots etc.). Thus, they might rely on a stable version
        that does not change during the next weeks.

Thus, the changes are not that bad, or?

Personally, I do think that a visually pleasing and consistent release
might be more important than some screenshots that might differ a bit.

So, what if we want to work on that? I had a look at the OOo pages
concerning the ODF icons. They do have a good document covering the file
types and the icons [4] - I hope that helps to ensure completeness on
our side.

Bernhard, Ivan, all! Thanks for your great work to make LibO 3.3 not
only an unique, but a truly great release ;-)

Cheers,
Christoph

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding#Resources_3

[2]