David,

Before starting, use regedit.exe and make a backup of your Windows Registry--just in case...

So, two ways to approach this, a registry edit or navigate the GUI to make additions.

Also, using a .REG batch file would be more efficient and less error prone. And also allow you to
apply the change to multiple systems with little additional effort.
See this link for reference on creating the .REG batch file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310516/en-us

=-=-=

You'd open a "regedit.exe" session from a Command Prompt "Run as Administrator", and navigate down
the tree to the Hive Key.

Needed changes to Windows Registry are in the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment

Two simple edits are needed.

(1) set the Java Home variable:  JAVA_HOME
is a REG_SZ value, REG script would create it with string
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre7"
Note: for a 64-bit Windows system it would be  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7"

(2) The System Path value:  Path
is a REG_EXPAND_SZ value, REG script would append string
";%JAVA_HOME%\bin"

Note: the--; % and \--characters inside the quotation marks are required

=-=-=

The other way would be to navigate the System Properties GUI and make the edits there.

1) Open a Command Prompt window "Run as Administrator"

2) enter "systempropertiesadvanced.exe", the GUI will open

3) enter "<alt> + n", opens Environment Variable GUI

4) enter "<alt> + s", moves to System Variables section of GUI

5) enter "p", will search and move to first variable starting with P, should be Path

6) enter "<alt> + i", will open the Edit GUI for the variable selected--should announce --and
should be in the Variable value positioned at the end of the text.

7) enter a "<end key>", will position you to the end of the field ready to append characters--be
careful to NOT erase the entire value.

8) type ";%JAVA_HOME%\bin" and <Enter> to save

9) enter "<alt> + w", will open New System Variable GUI, with cursor positioned in the Variable
Name field

10) type "JAVA_HOME" and <tab> to move to the Variable value field

11) type "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7" and <Enter> to save
Note: that would be C:\Program Files (x86)\ on a 64-bit system

12) type 3 <tabs> to move to the OK button and <Enter> to save. Then exit the rest of the System
Properties GUIs.

=-=-=

Stuart