I am transferring a note left on the design team re: this topic from Planas

------------

Planas wrote:

Le 2011-04-25 22:26, planas a écrit :
> On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 01:28 +0200, Bernhard Dippold wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just want to inform you that there is a discussion (mainly between
>> Drew and Marc) about the design team and if we should approve every
>> single design item created for LibreOffice.
>>
>> I added some thoughts to this here:
>> <http://go.mail-archive.com/jviw7nBBvahqPQI_W7qfe-f_Nao=>
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Bernhard
>>

> I think one of the last comments summed up everything nicely:
>
> "I think it is important to allow any artist and designer to work in the
> way (s)he likes best. But it's important at the same time to work on a
> consistent and professional branding and visual identity.
>
> "Combining these goals is not easy - but it is crucial if we consider
> our LibreOffice design as one of the goals to reach more users and
> contributors."
>
> One issue is there a need for local variations while keeping a
> recognizable brand and identity. I think the slogan used might vary
> because an English slogan may make no sense in another language.

This is actually a topic of conversation on both the US-Marketing list (NA-DVD disk for the NA Spanish community) as well as on the Spanish mailist.

"Freedom Never Tasted So Suite" has, thus far, been the slogan most adopted by the EN LibreOffice community. As more native language groups become more involved in marketing their own native language materials, I think we need to clear up the use of a slogans for other non-EN language groups.

It is obvious that the English slogan may in cases (I imagine most cases) not lend itself well to other native language groups. I therefore propose that the native language groups run a project where possible slogans are collected for possible use in their marketing materials. Some native language groups may have already gone through this process already and I think we had already spoken about this a few months ago.

The only caveat in this is that we should get some direction from Italo on the process and if we should in any way try to conform to similar slogans or not conform to to similar slogans.

As I understand it, the EN slogan is not a permanent slogan and it may change at some later date, and, in fact, it may change depending on the nature of the marketing material. I do not see any utility in non-EN native language groups adopting an EN slogan when it has limited or no meaning in their language.

Cheers

Marc