Re: [libreoffice-website] Mysterium jitsissimum tremendum et fascinans

Le 20-04-23 à 02 h 31, Ilmari Lauhakangas a écrit :
> Emiliano Vavassori kirjoitti 22.4.2020 klo 23.45:
>> Hi Ilmari,
>>
>> Il 22/04/20 20:18, Ilmari Lauhakangas ha scritto:
>>> What's up with the wild world of conference calls? Let's have a look at
>>> the past, present and future of TDF's Jitsi.
>>
>> Thanks for the recap and the overview for the next future.
>>
>> I still support the idea that Jitsi will help us so much in making
>> public meetings with 20+ people. I'm looking forward for the next
>> iterations, to see if implementations done by Infra team has the
>> expected impact on the user experience. Nonetheless, I see this is too
>> much bound to client settings to be "stable" by itself.
>>
>> Calling Firefox out of the games from the start seems harsh, though. We
>> can state that due to implementation issues with the regards of Firefox,
>> you may use it if in version >77 or with simulcast disabled (we should
>> provide docs to disable it, at least a link). Plus we should briefly
>> clarify that, if indications are not followed, esp. on the FF side, it
>> would thrash others' experience.
>>
>> For sure, we should give much stricter/clearer indications on how to
>> join the meeting for the sake of the quality perceived by all of the
>> participants. Maybe building a wiki page (to be pointed out when calling
>> public meetings) on how to access the Jitsi instance with these caveats
>> (and the other ones pointed out before by Cloph) may quicken and ease it
>> usage, making it also a public point. Ideally, showing it before joining
>> the room would increase also its effectiveness (at least the first
>> time).
>
> I wrote the recap at this time, because it seems to me that the
> problems with browser diversity are essentially solved. Simulcast for
> stable Firefox is disabled in the up-to-date Jitsi Meet we use and
> even though it was supposed to relate to video, it seems to coincide
> with having no problems anymore in an audio-only call. I will continue
> to join various meetings with stable Firefox to see, if people have a
> degraded experience.
>
> I don't see a need to create documentation for this or mention it:
> even if Firefox 75 would continue to cause problems, we only have a
> bit over 1 month to 77. On the contrary, we can stop warning about
> browser diversity.
>
> I focused on Firefox, but Safari support is being improved as well.
>
> Ilmari

Just as a side-note to this, some Linux distributions are using (as in
my case with Mageia Linux) Firefox v.68.70esr. I am not sure if the
Firefox devs will be patching their LTS versions so that these not cause
any issues. Do you know if this has also been considered?

Marc

--
Marc Paré
marc@marcpare.com