Re: [libreoffice-website] [SC] Decision about CMS

Christian,

You had dropped off the discussion for the past several days, so I wasn't sure if you were still following.

On Oct 18, 2010, at 10:42 AM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

> Hi Benjamin, *,
>
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Benjamin Horst <bhorst@mac.com> wrote:
>> On Oct 18, 2010, at 4:37 AM, Andre Schnabel wrote:
>>>
>>> Please consider, that we will never find a solution that fits all and
>>> we will see migrations of infrastrucure in the next year anyway.
>>> So please help us to get a good start - but let us start.
>>
>> I have been advocating we use Drupal, [...]
>>
>> Please, if anyone feels differently, chime in here now!
>
> Well, of course I have another picture. So far, while "promised",
> there's no usable drupal demo out there that meets the needs layed out
> before, whereas silverstripe is available and being tried out
> currently by a small group from german-lang project.
>
> So I'm strongly in favor of silverstripe...

However, I think you're the only one. :) I've counted roughly 4-5 people who are in favor of Drupal, including Andrea Pescetti, who replied to the thread at length on Oct 16. Please read Andrea's email because it includes very good points.

Silverstripe does not seem to offer the groupware functionality that Drupal can provide us--which lets ad hoc groups form to support various projects, like marketing initiatives for specific regions or around specific events. It's a very powerful paradigm that would be great for our work. Take a look at an example of it in use at the NYC Drupal user group: http://groups.drupal.org/nyc This is something we could replicate for regional LibO groups, and it's powerful!)

If I don't have time to install a complete Drupal demo site (because I have a demanding day job), that is not a sufficient reason to run roughshod over the request by myself and other community members to give it a fair review. Christian--you seem to have the time to install and test Silverstripe, but you refuse to install Drupal. Why not go ahead and test it side-by-side, yourself? We're not looking for an "acceptable" CMS, we're looking for the "best CMS for our purposes." And I think we need you to be an advocate for the best outcome, not for a particular CMS that happened to be the first one you found that worked for you. (We can't stop searching at the first acceptable option; we need to fairly compare all top candidates for current and expected future requirements.)

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
bhorst@mac.com
646-464-2314 (Eastern)