On 07/09/2013 01:09 PM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
Hi *,

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Kracked_P_P---webmaster
<webmaster@krackedpress.com> wrote:
http://staging.libreoffice.org/download

I have a question.
The Portable section, under Packages, links to the

http://staging.libreoffice.org/get-involved/donate/dl/portable/4.0.4/12/LibreOfficePortable_4.0.4_MultilingualNormal.paf.exe

Yet, there is another Portable package that some people might want to
choose, if their needed language is not in the "normal" version.

"LibreOfficePortable_4.0.4_MultilingualAll.paf.exe"
So just pick a version that is not in the multi installer and you'll
get the "All" link.

The clicking on "Portable" under the "Package" section - bottom left of the page - gives you "...Normal.paf.exe".

So would you want to show both Portable package options?
Nah, there I think just showing the matching (chosen or detected)
language is sufficient.
Are you saying if I was detected to use an African language that is supported by LO, that the link would then select "...All.paf.exe" ???

Also, right now there is only one 4.0.4 ISO file, the NA-DVD one. But, I
would assume that the German one would be available sometime.  So if we have
both versions of the DVD for the 4.0.5 installs, would both package links
show up here?
Yes - note that the staging site's download-DB is not up-to-date, so
it might not show all downloads that are currently available - but to
satisfy your example: for 3.6.6 there are both en and german isos, so
try with http://staging.libreoffice.org/download/?version=3.6.6 →
you'll get both offered.

For 4.0.4, there is currently only the NA-DVD on the CD/DVD download page. I was not even thinking about 3.6.x. Also 4.1.0 comes out at the end of the month, so I will be planning on making a NA-DVD out of those installs. 3.6.7 is due out sometime next week. I have to think about making a NA-DVD for it as well. [but I am using 4.0.4 for all my system/OSs now].

If you show only one of the Portable package options, the logic would be
that you would only show one of the available DVD .iso file options as well.
Well, yes and no. Portable version is just windows version of
LibreOffice, with a different set of supported languages, whereas the
LibreOffice DVDs are a compilation of LibreOffice + some additional
software and documentation. LibreOffice is multi-lang on both isos.

Thanks for the feedback.

ciao
Christian

I have tired the Portable version once a year or two ago, but there may have been issues with testing it while I have LO installed on that Windows system. It looks like there is another group that has created a different portable system and setup for packages, though I could not get that system to run on my Win7 laptops. X-LibreOffice, I think it is called.

The Portable package type of setup is a nice one to have so you can run you favorite package on someone else's Windows computer without needing to install it on that system. The last time I tried it, it was much slower than the installed version, but is is a good way to demonstrate LO to others, if you do not have your laptop [or desktop] handy. Thumb drives are much easier to carry. I have a few 16 and 32 GB ones I carry with me, as needed, for slideshows and other presentations so I do not have to have those presentations/documentation on a specific system that I must take with me.

The "German" ISO does have other language packs included, but the last time I downloaded it, the "text" of the DVD was in German. The NA-DVD uses "generic" English for the "text" of the HTML based DVD, but includes 8 different languages [language and help packs if available]. The NA-DVD does not include the SKD and source code, but has about 2 GB of extras, plus the 90+/- install, language pack, and help pack files for Windows, MacOSX [Intel and PPC], Linux [DEB and RPM], plus the 2 portable packages.

BOTH of the DVDs are targeted on different communities, as far as I can tell for the "German" one. Note--I produce the NA-DVD.

I would love to see other DVDs listed on the CD/DVD download page[s]. Having a different DVD created for each "major" language would be nice to see. Those languages would include; English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russia and that region, Middle Eastern region, African regain, Asian region, etc., plus Hebrew [which MSO seems to forget about, or so I have been told]. It would be hard to make one DVD, with the type of extras that the NA-DVD has, with auto detecting language and several language versions of the HTML based "text" system. I would not fit on a "normal" 4.7 GB DVD. I looked into it a few years back and could not figure out how to do it, as well as finding the "extras" in those languages - i.e. all of the documentation in all of those languages. [Well that went off topic a little].