Hi Florian,

Le 2012-09-13 03:53, Florian Effenberger a écrit :
Hi,

Marc Paré wrote on 2012-09-13 05:29:

Does jforum allow for the possibility of mailing list integration
similar to Nabble? This would allow those who are familiar with the
functioning of mailing lists to post of the forums and vice versa with
forum users.

while I don't know whether it's technically possible: Is it worth the
efforts? IMHO, we would end up with the very same problems that mailing
lists don't support certain forum functions (top-pinning of topics,
deletion of postings etc.) - this is the reason why Nabble isn't
sufficient, as far as I know.

Florian

The largest reason for this integration is the clear divide between the communication needs of contributors and users. It looks like, in large part, contributors like the "fast and furious" speed of mailing lists and the requirements for less computer resources, while users prefer the organized nature of the forums. Mailing lists users are not that concerned with the "bells and whistles" of forums. So, if there is a way to integrate both, I don't think that you will really hear of any complaints from the mailing list users, they will just keep working along as they did before.

If we are to try to join the two groups it will help if we can bridge both tools. That being said, there has been talk of some lists who may prefer the forums as these provide tools for downloading files as well as the other features you mention.

Where we should see gains are in the user-help arena. Forums are easily accessible to all, and, as Bjoern pointed out in a recent post on the marketing list[1], this could be a very good entry point for users who would like to move to more serious involvement in the project and contribute.

This will mean that we should plan on concerted efforts at promoting the contributor side of LibreOffice on the forums as well as the promote the all-important and much needed community building.

I am curious, if we were to keep both mailing lists and forums, would this tax our infrastructure negatively? Do we have enough hardware resources to handle it?

We should also expect that there will be a natural shake-up of both the mailing lists and forums where some lists or forum categories will die a natural death simply for the reason that the majority of users will prefer one mode of communication over the other.

Cheers,

Marc

[1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentation.libreoffice.marketing/5933

--