Hi Marc,

2012/2/12 Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com>:
Selecting only 6 is great! As to which 6 becomes a choice of one's opinions
as to what is most important from where you see it. For example:

* word count -- included as the OP- Michael Meeks thought is should be
highlighted; It is also a recurring request on the user lists; in my field
of education/academia, this feature is one that is extremely important for
instructional purposes as well as report/essay writing. I also run an
webzine and will be able to quote LibreOffice to potential writers who will
certainly appreciate this feature.
* Arabic/Persion numbering -- we need to show support for non-latin group
languages. This will make our marketing of the product easier -- a word
processor for all languages. This should be one of our recurring
features/messages that we need to advertise.
* Calc -- unless I am mistaken, LibreOffice modules used the most are Writer
and Calc and in that order. Any news of Calc is big news ... especially for
those coming from Excel
* Math -- unless I am mistaken, LibreOffice is the preferred tool for Math
writers. Showing more support for Math is also big news
* Postgresql -- this is also a recurring request on the users list. MySql
and Postgresql have been on many peoples' list of feature request. Base is
really not that popular ... it is common knowledge that there is little
interest in Base development (not sure if this has changed).

As you can see, there are differences of opinions on the "Featured List"
which is the reason that I am not such a big fan of it. I am sure if Italo
had his word, he would have a different combination of features. I am more
in favour of a properly ordered features list and the "Featured list" would
be put to better use in marketing documents.

Yes, you are right. Personal preferences always affect selection. I
tried to select those features which took significant effort to
develop. 5 of 6 took several man months of development. The only
exception may be the update service, which existed before but was
disabled, and now it works again. It was also a frequently asked
feature on forums.

The order of importance is again by opinion. I tried to keep to the original
features list put out by the devs -- maybe this should be sorted at that
level as the website features list could be put together by someone who is
not as up-to-date with the importance of each feature; the devs may be more
"in-tune" with the importance of features. I jumped in at the last minute to
put the page together. Frankly, it would be nice to get advice for each
section ... let me know if you would like some items moved around or feel
free to move them around.

OK, I will reorder, if I feel necessary. In fact the original order
was random. :) At least when I added features to wiki, I did not care
about the order, I just put them somewhere in the appropriate section.
Next time it should be done better. Starting with a good wiki page
will make web editors' work much easier.

The page should go live as soon as the 3.5 final is announced.

I'm sure that tomorrow the page will be reviewed by many people,
including Michael, and it will be in good shape by release time.

Cheers,
Andras