Thanks Andras, (long argument on "Featured Selections")

Le 2012-02-11 02:56, Andras Timar a écrit :
I think in "Featured Selection" we should show screenshots, not only text. Most readers will not read further. :) There are a few features that should be included here (and there are a few which are not so important). For example new UI for Header/Footer editing, Visio import, custom shapes import, multi line input in Calc are key features. Could you please come to irc this afternoon/evening (UTC+1) and we can discuss it? Thanks, Andras

Actually, now that I have had time to sleep on it, here is what I think of the "Featured Selection" area. I have put in 12 spots which I had originally thought would be adequate for such an area but ...

IMHO, I now think that this is too much. I have to admit that I am not a big fan of "Featured Selections" on any software packages websites, because, these tend to "dumb down" the process of users coming to the "Features List" area of a website expecting a list. Instead of finding a list, readers are faced with a list of "featured selections" and will then just assume that any other features are too trivial to read on the regular list of features -- let's not forget that the "Featured Selection" is put together by people who assume that "what is important feature" to them should be listed on the short list.

In creating these two lists, we are then training:

* our users to read the short list, and more than likely, these users will not read on to the full list of features thinking that the rest of the normal list of features is not worth their while. They will expect this short list each time they come to our site and not care to read from the normal list of features where they can just browse to their interested section(s). * risk losing users who are looking for a specific feature, and, these users thinking that their specific feature is "not good enough" to fit into the short featured list will get annoyed.

Let's not forget that the users who come to the "Features List" pages do so because they are curious about the upgrades or may have a specific feature they are looking for -- hence, the reason why the "Features List" page exists. There is even a link at the bottom of the "Features List" page that will lead the "even more curious" users to a more complete list of upgrades. These users would more than likely read the full list ... again, unless we train them to consider the "Featured Selections" as being more important.

For these reasons, I think that the more we add to a "Featured Selection", the more we will trap ourselves into a nasty cycle of having to add more to the short section and having differences of opinions on what to put there. For example, myself, as a school teacher, see little value in a "Featured Selection" where there is talk of code -- to me, the "Featured Selection" should speak ONLY to users, BUT, this will only cause other people to contest my idea of a "Featured Selection".

So, I propose that, if we are to have a "Featured Selections" section, that we cut it back to only 4-6 selections. This will make it easier to fit on one viewers page which is one of the important rules of web page construction -- avoid forcing users to scroll up or down, or, users will just not stay on that page. IMHO, I would do away with the short section altogether, and put more importance on the marketing of our product where in this case expounding the value of a featured selection (in our marketing materials) would make more sense. The marketing materials would then target specific features to specific groups of users.

Sorry for the long post. BTW ... I agree, images are very important to have on the features list page ... we should have an graphic for each feature.

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré