Hi Tom, *,

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 12:56 AM, Tom Hart <tomh@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
Am 29.11.2011 20:16, schrieb Alexander Werner:
[...]
Since Askbot is set, wouldn't it make sense to set the Askbot <-> forum
interaction as a main attention point?

Hmm...

What do I mean with interaction? *At* *least* these points:

1. Same userbase (login, password, karma, etc.)
(I guess this is self explanatory.)

userbase shared login: OK, should be doable and would be nice to have.
But sharing karma would probably involve quite a bit of adaption, etc.
So I'd not vote for sharing more than just the plain login.

2. integrated SEARCH! (at best also while typing in the thread title)
What is the point of having such a nice Askbot, when the questions still get
asked again and again and again in the forum?

Well - what is the point of a forum in the first place ;->
But here I fear the effort trying to implement a search that uses both
systems won't pay off. There will very, very likely be lots of noise
generated by the forum, and thus degrade the quality of askbot - and
that surely must be avoided at all cost.

So askbot also searching in the forums: Not advisable (in my opinion)
Forums also searching in askbot: depends, I doubt askbot provides an
api for that, so quite some effort.

Also hasn't this (Askbot/Forum integration) done before? It just seems so
logic for me, I can't believe none has thought of this before ...

The two are so different, that it isn't as obvious to me to combine the two.
askbot has (hopefully) tightly scoped questions, while the forum
probably is more about lengthy "solution finding processes".

[...]
PS:
On http://djangopackages.com/grids/g/forums/
Askbot is also listed as forum? - probably meant in a wider sense or is
there a hidden feature?

Depends on your definition of "forum".
(no, there is no "hidden feature" that would turn it into something
like Jforum or phpBB - it is a question & answers site)

ciao
Christian