On 30/11/2011 16:48, drew wrote:
On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 16:32 +0100, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
On 30/11/2011 16:30, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
Hi *,

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Jonathan Aquilina
<eagles051387@gmail.com>   wrote:
On 30/11/2011 15:16, Alexander Werner wrote:
Am 30.11.2011 um 03:08 schrieb Christian Lohmaier:
[...] Also one thing i noticed in another part of
this thread is about spam. Phpbb implements CAPTCHA's out of the box they
just have to be enabled when registering.
Ah, JForum supports captchas as well, but the problem with captachs is
that it will also hit regular users, not only spammers.

While one can add the captcha to be on registration only, I don't
think this will help - as the forum is set to require
email-authentication.. But if spam becomes a problem, the captcha can
be activated.

ciao
Christian

I would activate it from the  get go as a preventative measure. at least
we will be keeping the spam bots out of the site.

Using Captcha alone is just jumping to the spam arms race - you make a
better captcha, they make a better algorithm to decode it..

Email verification for registrations is both an anti-spam feature, and
also ensures that you can communicate status notifications to the user.

[an aside here, it's a good idea also to have a way for users to contact
site admins (or forum admins depending on the package] not only via the
web interface, but via email - but that is a simple detail in any of the
packages, just tossing it out as I think of it]

ReCaptcha is a better choice IMO then Captcha ... but isn't the only one
- having a non-graphical question that changes can be a very good step
also
- using the known spam address services is good, but you can find
yourself dealing with false positive issues - still, I think it's more
then worth the trade off.

I think this is one feature that you will find pretty much a push across
all packages - meaning they all do it reasonably well, and with the arms
race all will need tweaking over time.

Just my .02 on that.

Looks like that call is coming up in just few minutes - catch you all
there..

//drew

Not trying to hijack this thread is the audio recording from the call available yet as i wasnt able to make it :D.

The presentation we had to do for this game competition was a big success ended up first place for the 2nd year in a row.