On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 17:00 +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
Hi Drew, *,

<snip>

[bumping - set delay when it is possible to bump]

Hmm - as there is no special "bump" feature, a topic is "bumped" by
sending a reply.

I don't want to limit people from providing
additional information that they found out about. And I don't want to
hinder people from posting a solution they found out themselves just
after hitting "send". (Often enough when explaining your problem to
others, you see "openings" for a solution). So I cannot think of a
sensible way to prevent this/make it useful.

No on is limited from doing anything by this. Sorry I just don't follow
your line of thought here at all.

bumping happens when someone replies to a topic, doesn't it? So when
you don't want users to bump their own topics, you don't allow users
to reply to their own posts.

If people are not allowed to reply to their own topic until
<bumptimelimit> passes, they are not allowed to post a solution they
found by themselves. They are not allowed to provide further details
to an answer they can answer now, but could not after they did receive
a reply when still in the <bumptimelimit>. Bother are
counter-productive.

Ah - yes, I have failed to communicate - nothing in this alters other
normal behavior, the user can reply to their own posts at any time -
this is a very specific use case - the user (but more likely a
moderator) sees a post with no answer - they (the moderator) has no real
answer to give, [and feels it looks complete enough for someone to
answer]. so they can bump back to the head of the list - that is all
this is. It doesn't hinder anyone from doing anything they could of done
otherwise.

If the time is short - it is likely in the new posts anyway, if much
time has passed, then bumping the topic is legitimate. Also I wouldn't
limit it to posts with no reply, there are enough forum posts with a
reply, but no answer. So it is not really feasible.

Yes - a way to designate whether a question is actually [solved] would
be a definite desire and if that is in place then extending the 'bump'
to include zero reply OR not solved would make sense.

See above, I still cannot think of an algorithm that would actually
work and not hinder users.

[....]
If a user didn't get a reply/answer for two weeks, and doesn't provide
more info, asks for more details - what makes you think a bump will
change the situation?

Well, IMO a group will form of responders, people that actively come
looking to answer questions - they tend to do things like 'list
un-answered questions' and then work their way down the list - most
people tend to read from top to bottom and cherry pick if you will
things of interest - as the original post slides down the list it's
chances of getting an answer diminish.

OK, so it is only a matter of what jumps in your face will be
answered, everything else goes down the curb. If this is what the
OOo-Forums worked like?

Well, that is kind of human nature - what you don't see you don't act
on.

JForum does lack a "show posts with no replies" (at least from the
current theme).

Should be easy enough to fix.

So probably habits would have to change then/users should be
encouraged to provide more details when they did not receive an answer
in <arbitrarily chosen # of days>

Right - and that happens all the time.

anyway - 'a bump' is a nice to have feature not a must have for sure so
let's just drop it.

Honestly, instead of auto-bumping it should be
auto-moved-to-trashcan/the category for unanswered posts.

Well, you can do that, I'm sure no one will mind if you delete their
posts.

No, not delete, but move. To keep search powerful. Nothing is more
annoying than to only dig up unanswered posts asking the same thing,
but having no answer. (or only "solved, can be closed" without stating
how it was solved.

alright - will come back to this last point in a later email.

//drew