On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 03:08 +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

What would you want to extend it with?

Some features to consider - just ramblings at the moment..

==== hey hey, not so fast =====

For new registrants:

Meter post frequency - for instance, minimum of 5 minutes between posts
_until_ 3 posts or 30 days after registration, whichever comes first
(just an example, so please don't start discussing specifics on exact
counts/periods here) - this will kill most serious spamming attacks in
the least intrusive way possible.

Meter search frequency  - defense against the poor man's DOS attack -
usually tied to new registrations again.

======= You use what ==========

Custom user profile fields - i.e. Version of the application and OS used
- nice to be able to flag these fields as required during registration
time
- custom fields display in public profile on posts
-- cuts way down on the 'what are you using because you didn't tell me',
pre-question, question exchange, quite a bit.

===== do the bump or disco lives =====

[a bump means to push an existing question that has received zero

bump delay, this is the minimum period of time that must pass before the
original poster (or moderator) can manually bump the topic - haven't
seen the acp for JForum so don't know if this has it or not.

Ability to set auto bump and length of time before this happens - really
nice if the auto-bump can be forum specific - cause you really don't
care in a general chit chat list, but have a fairly long wait period for
say a coding list and a short period for an install help list.

[I'm used to seeing systems that limit the number of bumps for any
single question to two]

===== a rose by any other name ===

karma is called ranking in some systems - though it can also be handled
with custom groups - it is considered important by most people that use
web forums often - but again almost all forums handle it in one way or
another.

What ever system used it is best if it is not tied only to post count,
- all forums (web or email) tend to have a few energetic individuals,
heavy on posts, light on useful content
-  think about the effort that went into the karma rules on the osqa
test platform.

==== smile for the camera =====

avatars, well, I don't care that much but I guarantee you others do.

gravatar - please no - but that is my personal preference

Smilies - no idea why this matters so much to some, but it does - so
adding custom ones is a nice, very nice, feature.

==== exit stage left =====

anyway - a few quick thoughts of the top of the head

I've sent some emails out to people whose opinion I value on this
subject...not much feedback yet..

So - just to let you know, tomorrow I will be putting forward the idea
that you should go ahead and launch the AskBot site - but not a BBS
style forum at this point - my suggestion, make the decision 1 week from
today.

//drew