On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 14:53 +0100, Alexander Werner wrote:
Hi Drew,

Am 26.11.2011 um 13:55 schrieb drew:
Thanks - Knew that one, but don't see it as multi-lingual, all parts
(UI, Tags, Q + A) are in a single language, based on url.[1]
What am I missing, or perhaps change of browser language preference is
not enough to show what you mean?

On the main shapado site, there is a drop down menu at the top of the screen where it's possible
to select the language of questions to show.
UI stays in english all the time.

My current plan is to use language tags and automatic tag filters based on the set/determined
locale of the user for askbot.

OK - well maybe we have been talking past each other - two roads to the
same desired result. The same split, just using tags vs table prefix.
OK.

Using table prefixes needs *very* ugly changes to the code, so this is the case why i didn't
consider them.
(Inserting a prefix configuration option, changing the model layer to use the prefix, iterating
over all possible languages to maintain the database)

HUH - no one in there right mind would make 105 vhosts, nor 105
databases; 1 vhost, 1 database, multiple tables and separate
configurations, you know that. Straw man arguments waste everyone's
time.

As table prefixes require ugly (and deeeeep changes) to the askbot code, multiple instances
require multiple databases.
And application preferences in mod_wsgi are generally based on vhosts (you could also have a
single vhost and route subdirs to different settings, same amount of work).
So I don't consider these straw man arguments, however I didn't explain in detail why these
arguments are valid.

Fair enough - alright, back at shapado and playing with the language
settings.

It seems shapado does some translating in background, when I type in a
question in a given language then it displays possible similar questions
without regard to language - same idea here?

A question or two about tags, will the site support tags in NL also -
for example, lets assume that people ask questions about printing in
different languages and each person tags it appropriately for their
language.

Printing
udskrivning
Drucken
印刷
druk
печать

Back at shapado again, actually the diaspora sub-site now - I can for
instance select French for the content, all French content is displayed,
the tags are all in English, so now I select a tag and this seems to
break the language filter..hmm, again might be my lack of knowledge
about using the site.

I'm just wondering how you see handling this.

Would the tag be associated with the language?

If one selects 'all languages' then all tags would be displayed?

Thanks

//drew