Hi Drew, *,
cc projects, but please reply-to website list to have one single
archiving point.

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 3:36 AM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 18:56 +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
[...]
The test installation is available at:
http://osqa-test.libreoffice.org
[...]
http://osqa-test.libreoffice.org/question/14/how-will-this-site-work-with-different-languages

In the past, when confronted with a very similar question, I've heard
less then supportive opinions from individuals who say they have
interacted on such sites - but I have never actually been pointed to a
running site that I could evaluate. Maybe you can do so - is there an
example you have found - though it sounds from your email that perhaps
not.

??? What are you talking about? The links to the testing installation
were right in the post, and I cannot believe you never stumbled upon
stackoverflow or a similar site.
But anyway - the test-installation is at

http://osqa-test.libreoffice.org

The state of computer translations is getting better, for sure, but from
personal experience it really does depend on the language.

??? And what have computer translations to do with it? Sorry, but I
cannot follow you. Either your post misses some parts that you edited
out again, or I just don't realize what you're aiming at.

Also
IMO - if we go ahead an run a single site, all languages in the bin,
someone is going to bitch and they are going to bitch loud and long...
given the emphasis we as an organization place on native tongues.

Well, all langs are equal, so I don't see the problem. And those who
bitch around then just won't get karma/won't use the page.
While there surely will be people who complain about the "spam" they
cannot understand, I don't think this will be a huge problem.

That is not so much an argument against the idea, rather a statement of
opinion on something that IMO we should be prepared for.

Yes - but what are the alternatives?

So - should we or should we not use a single bin for content from
all/any  languages? I would not, given what I've seen on the current
osqa (sorry I know the plan is to use a fork of osqa - may I ask why?]
style site.

Hmm - why would you not?
Initially Alex did set it up as osqa, but then quickly switched to
askbot. I wouldn't consider askbot a fork of osqa, but rather its
origins are in CNPROG.
http://askbot.org/en/question/5/why-askbot?answer=5#5

askbot is nicer code, less features but more stable, faster templating
engine,...
I don't know for what reason Alex did make the switch, but so far I
don't see any problem with the platform.
http://askbot.org/en/question/220/whats-the-compelling-reasons-to-user-askbot-over

So once again: Why is it that you won't mix it "given what you've seen
on the current osqa site"

Is there any plan to integrate on-the-fly translation?

No - at least this wasn't brought up yet. But if adding it, it will
cost money. But chromium browser has a translate this page feature
(that I personally switch off right from the start)

If so, would that drill down to a single question that had replies in
multiple languages?

Probably...

anyway - my thoughts for the moment.

You wrote that you probably wouldn't use the mixing bowl and throw in
all languages into the same system - so what is your
counter-proposal/what to do instead?

ciao
Christian