On Sat, 2011-11-12 at 13:54 -0500, drew wrote:
On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 21:28 +0100, Florian Effenberger wrote:
<snip>
The next steps to me are:

Sure, it's a good time to look at the packages.

I see folks are updating the wiki page
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/UsersForum excellent.

IMO it worth starting even a bit before that however, asking ourselves
some questions first.

<snip>

Next question in another email,

Alright - user accounts for a forum package.

Supporting multiple language forums can be done with multiple instances
of the forum software, or could be setup on a single instance.

IMO the nod here should go to a single instance.

For that there is a couple of questions to ask when looking at possible
forum platforms.

1 - User access rights management is one area to think about. With a
single instance of the database a user account will be able to enter any
of the NL forums, so the question then becomes will the platform support
different group/role rights for user accounts based on active "NL
forum" {set of pages} or will a user account 'granted a role/added to a
group' in one NL area carry that same set of rights to all "NL forums".

2 - User level properties - Private message queues, draft posts,
personal post templates [some heavy 'responders' will keep little
snippets for quick replys] - I can't say that I know of any platform
which will allow multiple sets of these properties on a single user
account, based on an where they are within the forum hierarchy of pages,
it's one advantage to the 'one instance per language' pattern, but I
can't say I've really looked at each with that specific question in mind
- it may be that some package will have a set of features which would
allow some clear way to address such a feature.

3 - I don't think language pack preference based on user account, which
I'll assume is a given for all platforms, is an issue.

anyway - enough for the moment.

//drew