Hi Michael, *

Am 09.11.2011 21:08, schrieb Michael Bauer:
For one thing I was half worried I'd break the English site if I hit
the wrong button.

With author permissions you may change pages but need a publisher to get
it online. Silverstripe has a version control so you may jump to
previous versions and recover them.

What might be good would be a couple of skeleton templates for
new/small locales with lots of <put your text here and then hit
save> <to link to sub-page, create a new page first by pressing...>
stuff just to get you over the first hurdle.

Well imho this is quite nicely covered at the help tab but please just
go ahead and give it a try  :-)

However: How would you put the nl-project's pages in the face of
visitors? Just redirecting to<nl>.libreoffice.org won't do - as
many are still in heavy constructions, only have a tiny fraction of
the content available on the english site, and people were against
putting a list of locales in the header/footer for similar
reasons.
Well... if it was easier to navigate between the English site and
other locales, having an automatic redirect wouldn't be so much of a
problem. Anyway, even without the redirect, I can't see what the
issue would be with a Wikipedia style language bar on the left or
right which allows you to navigate between languages if corresponding
pages exist.

Maybe you missed the point above, impressions visitors might get and we
want to avoid are

- they get the 'same' page in just another language
(your 'skeleton' is quite rich in comparison to some other sites)

- ah these are the available LO languages

People seem to cope very well with different Wikipedias offering
different amounts of info depending on the language; I don't see what
this should be different.

I never checked the content across languages used at the wiki but I'd
suppose one would rather expect some kind of 'work in progress' there.

Some other 'teams' are just one man shows like yours :-) but do not produce comparable outputs yet so we won't encourage visitors to hit a nl button with wrong expectations, things will improve :-)

cheers
Erich