On 09/26/2011 04:14 AM, Florian Effenberger wrote:
Hi,

drew wrote on 2011-09-25 17:11:

I read over the challenge site again last night (early this morning) and
it really does rather make it sound like there is not much need for more
$$$ when we all know reality is always closer to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzOidHfvOCs

;-)

I could put a temporary English page, for now, on the LibreOffice site -
set to _not_ display a menu.

Ok, sounds good. How about you set-up such a page at www.libreoffice.org/donate and we use this as a translateable basis for all other language projects? We could e.g. translate this to de.libreoffice.org/spenden and the like.

The basic information needed is at http://challenge.documentfoundation.org/donate/

I would then, as soon as the translated pages are ready, redirect the challenge website there.

Does that sound sensible?

Florian

Just for my peace of mind. . .

Since I was told that the donations was for the German location, server, marketing, etc., I was wondering if that was true? To be honest, I know there is a need to pay for the running of servers and other things that the TDF/LO needs as an organization it is currently. Things cost money and it should not be required for individuals to foot the bills for a professional organization. Bandwidth and electricity are two monthly bills that everyone can agree on that needs money to keep things going. Then there are fees involved with the government paperwork for setting up and running an organization.

With all these things, TDF/LO need a good way to raise money. Have the donation page in as many languages as the people using the package. Maybe that way, people from over in the USA, South America, Australia, Asia, etc., would donate to "keep the lights on" and to help promote LO.

For me personally, I would like to see some donations go into regional marketing, if possible.

I know that there were many shows that LO people were at in the USA/Canada region and they really could have used some marking dollars to print up banners, print up brochures, make give aways [CDs/DVDs, key-chains, shirts, etc.], and any other item needed for having a good looking table at a show.

To do these things, without having people use their own money, we need to have regional marketing money. Maybe some people from TDF/LO could look into what is needed and see what it would cost to provide them to the various shows/fests coming up in the next 6 - 12 months. Personally, with a limited income, I would have a hard time buying some of the items seen in some photos of past shows. But that is just me. Others may not have my issues with money.

ALSO, in my experience:

From selling/promoting stuff at Model-Railroad-related shows, I found that a table that does not have a great looking banner, and a lot of items for people to look at, did not catch people's eyes. When promoting something, instead of selling "stuff", having a professional banner, professional looking table cloth, professional looking brochures and other documents, plus some give-aways, make the item you are promoting look like it is something that it put out by people who really care and that they have done their work well and with care. Also, I found that if the people at the tables wore "polo" style shirts [men and women polos] with the logo where the breast pocket would have been, these people looked more professional than people with tee-shirts with logos screen-printed on them.