Hi Gianluca,

Gianluca Turconi wrote (29-05-11 09:22)
In data 29 maggio 2011 alle ore 00:16:24, Cor Nouws <oolst@nouenoff.nl>
ha scritto:

But reading Gianlucas sentence again ('wannabe developers that have no
clue about where and how to ask for suggestions') I must say that I do
not understand either what my reply could help with that, since I
guess people with developing skills know IRC, bugtracker, ... so I do
not understand the problem at all. Sorry for the confusion.

Is there currently enough developing manpower to further improve the
project at a industrial pace? Have *all* *potential* external developers
(btw, how many are they and how many of them really contribute to the
project?) sufficiently knowledge about what help the *current*
developers need?

If the answer is yes to both questions, the developing part of LibO is
just perfect and we can delete any other mean of promotion for open dev
tasks/bugs.

I think there is a mentality difference between us: you spoke about
people that have *already* started working on the code while I speak
about people that haven't started, yet. The former ones are looking for
help to satisfy *their* own developing needs, the latter ones are
looking for help to satisfy the needs of the project.

However, maybe, I'm completely missing the point in your message,
because I suppose that *there are* developing needs of the project,
based on a engineering-driven model for developing LibO.

Am I wrong?

No and yes.
Of course there is always room, not to say need, for developers.
However, developers step in if - in their understanding - the project:
 - is cool,
 - uses or represents cutting edge, impressive or whatever technology,
 - aligns with skills they have,
 - is happy to except contributions and able to integrate those fast,
 - is easy to build from master (ahum...)
 - has active developers giving instant feedback on questions,
 - ...
And of course there is BugZilla, while not easy for each and everyone, will be a no-brainer for any (would be) developer. And there is the wiki, with a special section for developers, easy hacks...

With all this, I doubt if an extra layer, portal, that asks lots of energy to build and maintain, will add so much. For you and me and each of us, contributing in any area, it will probably haven been more or less the same: one looks around, lurks on the list for some time, until the feeling is there that it is time to stand up and start helping with testing, documentation, coding, ... Communication means: ask if you need some help, or answer if you can give some help and in the same time people learn to know each other a bit, which is rather practical later on, when work has to be shared.
Anyway, that is my vision of 'reality' :-)

Kind regards,
Cor

--
 - http://nl.libreoffice.org