Gianluca Turconi wrote:

Developers are several grade of magnitude more important than any other
contributor for a *software* project like LibreOffice.

Absolutely true.

Since "expert developers don't grew on trees", there must be a mean,
whatever mean, in order to increase occasional developing contributions
and to transform those one-time contributions into a more reliable and
expert contribution.

I think that developers are already working on this issue, as the number of more regular contributors is increasing. Anyway, I would ask developers how can we help them in improving the mechanism, and making it more visible.

I know developers have their bugzilla and their mailing lists, but when
an independent, new developer approaches for the first time the project,
he doesn't know anything about mailing lists (Libreoffice vs
freedesktop.org ones?!), other developers' roles, tasks which he can
complete. In a sentence: he doesn't know anything about how the dev part
of the project works.

The easy hacks mechanism created by Michael and Caolan, with the help of the other core developers, seems to work for those willing to get their hands dirty.

I think that development wise we should just make the story more popular, and help in forwarding would be developers into the easy hacks area. Once they start working at these tasks, they have their own ways to nurture the process.

I don't want to force developers to abandon bugzilla, it's impossible,
but rather to provide a more friendly entry level for those new
developers who approach the project, a mean that can be used to spread
expertise about sinple and more complex dev tasks and to lessen the now
very steep learning curve about how the LibO code works.

Developers use quite a lot IRC channels. It is a parallel world, at least I see it as a parallel world.

--
Italo Vignoli
italo.vignoli@gmail.com