Le Sun, 29 May 2011 13:40:24 +0300,
Sophie Gautier <gautier.sophie@gmail.com> a écrit :

Hi Gianluca, Cor, all,
On 29/05/2011 10:22, Gianluca Turconi wrote:
In data 29 maggio 2011 alle ore 00:16:24, Cor Nouws
<oolst@nouenoff.nl> ha scritto:

But reading Gianlucas sentence again ('wannabe developers that
have no clue about where and how to ask for suggestions') I must
say that I do not understand either what my reply could help with
that, since I guess people with developing skills know IRC,
bugtracker, ... so I do not understand the problem at all. Sorry
for the confusion.

Is there currently enough developing manpower to further improve the
project at a industrial pace? Have *all* *potential* external
developers (btw, how many are they and how many of them really
contribute to the project?) sufficiently knowledge about what help
the *current* developers need?

If the answer is yes to both questions, the developing part of LibO
is just perfect and we can delete any other mean of promotion for
open dev tasks/bugs.

I think there is a mentality difference between us: you spoke about
people that have *already* started working on the code while I speak
about people that haven't started, yet. The former ones are looking
for help to satisfy *their* own developing needs, the latter ones
are looking for help to satisfy the needs of the project.

However, maybe, I'm completely missing the point in your message,
because I suppose that *there are* developing needs of the project,
based on a engineering-driven model for developing LibO.

Am I wrong?

There are developing needs, for sure, but it's difficult to give
information to new comers without the direct input from the
developers. I think this is where Cor and your differences reside.
But I find your idea for an additional layer good. May be we can ask
to the students participating to the GSOC how they found there way
and what they miss? Even if it's a more structured experience than
just a new comer, it can help to underline the communication flows
needed (or not).

Just my two cents here: to me this structure was thought to be an
entry-level platform to enable the input of possible bugs and features
by non-technical users , while enabling people who might not have been
too familiar with the development of LibreOffice to to become
acquainted to it. But to act as one source for developers'recruitment
would perhaps call a nuanced answer: developers do not need such a
platform ( a mere list of easy tasks is often enough) but developers
need specific information on what is wished. The conversion work
between an express need "please repaint the whole screen in green" to a
"RFE" (request for enhancement), as an example, has to be done by
someone who is interested in software development but who might not
have all the skills or the confidence to do it. Hence the relevance of
what I thought was Gianluca's proposal.

Best,

Charles.

Kind regards