Hi Alex,

On Friday 28 January 2011 14:54, Alexander Thurgood wrote:
Le 28/01/11 11:23, Nino Novak a écrit :

on the German project we had the discussion about using Translation
Tabs at all.

Guess I wasn't following the German lists closely enough, but I've
noticed they tend to get bogged down in rather long discussions so I
tend to skip ;-)

happens, yes.

Unfortunately, I'm adding to the length sometimes myself, too ;)

- the original page tree navigation entries might follow a
different logic than your national, but you cannot change navi
entries in the translated page (only in the included). So you end
up with two different Navigation structures in both instances.

Yes I realised that aftewards, but I thought Silverstripe was
designed to be able to handle this ?

(Maybe Christian knows?)

As the latter was a usability NOGO, we ended up in setting up all
pages in our own national space. Thereby we lose the translation
hints on every single page.

OMG, well then I would have to ask what the point of having a
Translation tab is ?

In cases, where you have complete congruency of two language page trees,
there is no problem, I think.

But as said, we inside the Germanophone project chose to have a separate
page tree. Maybe, some day we will change our minds and adapt the
German pages to the Main site. But not for now.

After all, if it is unusable, better to
deactivate it and force people to have two browser pages open at the
same time, one with the original and one with the ongoing translation
of the original. IMHO, that is one hell of a drop down in usability
though.

I did not have any problems with it, just replaced the English text with
the German.

As translated pages and national pages have a n:m relation, the
only possibility (I don't know if this can be implemented) I see is
to set up translation pages as Redirects to corresponding national
pages and vice versa, but there seems to be no support for this in
the CMS, so doing all this manually is not manageable.

Redirects would be acceptable. If they work properly. Still leaves
the problem of keeping up to date with changes in the original.

Feel free to propose a different solution. The above I just suggested as
I did not have any other idea on it.

So we ended up with a completely national page tree. A prominent
link to translations might be a good idea, though (in www there is
a 1st level navi entry pointing to "International Sites").

Is it just me or are there some major limitations here ? Yes, I still
believe in having a language specific subproject, but failing input
from contributors, or just even for the sake of having homogenous
information between the subprojects, the linked translation
functionality would have been really, really, useful.

I think, the requirements of an "arbitrary matching" (i.e. the described
n:m page trees with manually defined page matching) is not trivial to
set up. I haven't seen a CMS that implements this.

Maybe Drupal can be tweaked to support it ;)

Nino