Hi Michael, Christoph, all-

From: michael@wheatland.com.au

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Christoph Noack <christoph@dogmatux.com> wrote:

[..]

My personal wish is not so much answering these questions within the
call, but to think about how to answer these questions with all the
people here. What do you (all) think?

IMHO it is not possible to reach a conclusion through even MULTIPLE meetings.

If we attempt to get full answers, the first meeting would not go beyond the 1.x topics.

@Verbal vs. written vs visual discussion:
Verbal discussion is the least suited tool; because it is easy to overlook/ignore important aspects.
Also, since many participants are non-English; a discussion would not be convenient.

Discussion on wiki ranks next-worst, because people can expound on their theories without reaching
a consensus.

A option-selection tool such as Ubuntu Brainstorm is next-best, as it allows arguments in favor of
a given option.
But it works best when the problem and optional solutions are clearly known beforehand.

For free-wheeling discussion and deriving solutions, concept-mapping (or argument-mapping) is the
best tool.
It can be installed on Drupal (SilverStripe does not have any similar tool).
Alternatively a CMAP instance can be set up on a server temporarily.

@How to remove "Not invented here" bias:
I know people are still thinking about a faceoff between Silverstripe and Drupal.
To remove such bias, CS should establish a "Lab" domain on the LibreOffice site.
This is like the famous Google labs, where things would be tried out within a closed group, before
rolling out on large scale.

Anything new -be it "Drupal" or any other tool- should be tried there after getting approval.
The proposer should create a project charter and publish it for general discussion and approval.

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/ConfCall/Agenda

I totally agree that we will likely not be able to answer the
questions in the call, as the answer to many of these questions will
require consultation with many other teams.

The expectation, as I understand it, is to assign specific people to
work at the interface between these teams, who have both the knowledge
of 'what is possible' and knowledge on the given topic.

I would like to be on that team.

Regards,
Narayan